Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Done…

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default Done…

    - edited to protect the innocent, at the request of the guilty.
    Last edited by Todd Robbins; 10-31-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Wow. You offered them a bargain at $300. Oh well, they'll pay, one way or another.

    Neil McTavish
    www.briaghamctavish.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Todd, you're so unreasonable. :p

    It is genuinely hard to imagine how the bar can get much lower than it is now.

    I told you about the project that I tracked and was scheduled to mix, but they "couldn't afford" for me to do the overdubs on the album, about a week of instrumental ODs and solos.

    I call the client the week before the mix to confirm the dates.

    "Oh, that...." An ominous start to be sure. "Well, we ran into some problems so we're behind schedule and over budget." I pushed farther to find out, as if I didn't know, what that meant to ME, thinking we'd have to rebook the mix.

    "Well, that cheap engineer we hired? He erased the hard drive." I'm dumbfounded but I stay cool.

    Me: "Well, good thing you had everything on two drives, like I suggested. You DID have everything on two drives, right?"

    "Well, we did have the safety that you made us, but he hadn't made any backups in a while. We lost about three days worth of recording."

    Me: "Well, that hurts." Not thinking it was going to hurt ME.

    "Yea, that means we are having to use the mix budget to re-record everything, which means we can't afford for you to mix it."

    I'm floored. Really? Someone else screws up royally and it comes out of MY paycheck??

    That's the music business today. But I'm sure it'll get better. NOT.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Seriously makes me want to look for a job in a growth industry where people are paid what they're worth and not felt up on every job to see how low they will go on price. Even hookers and drug dealers don't get shaken down like this.

    Still waiting on a call from the manager. I'm guessing within an hour...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  5. #5
    Wireline's Avatar
    Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Midland Tx
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Even hookers and drug dealers don't get shaken down like this.

    .
    Yes they do...that's why I got out of doing those things
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Still waiting on a call from the manager. I'm guessing within an hour...
    They'll have to try and then take a listen, then debate about what they need to do, before they get around to finding the funds to do it right the second time. As they say "There's never enough money to do it right the first time. But there is enough money to redo it."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    They'll have to try and then take a listen, then debate about what they need to do, before they get around to finding the funds to do it right the second time. As they say "There's never enough money to do it right the first time. But there is enough money to redo it."
    Well, my faith in humanity has been restored to some degree. Manager called (as I predicted). The artist has flat refused to re-sing anything. It will go to radio with the cuss words (which are of the variety that they can be aired, you just don't hear them very often). They will have me edit the song for length and try one version where the cussing is muted, which may or may not fly - we'll see. For the work, I will be paid my full rate. Cheers.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    It is genuinely hard to imagine how the bar can get much lower than it is now.
    QFT


    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Well, my faith in humanity has been restored to some degree. Manager called (as I predicted). The artist has flat refused to re-sing anything. It will go to radio with the cuss words (which are of the variety that they can be aired, you just don't hear them very often). They will have me edit the song for length and try one version where the cussing is muted, which may or may not fly - we'll see. For the work, I will be paid my full rate. Cheers.
    yay! Happy ending!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Good result.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •