Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic Budget=$3,500 For Vocals+Ac Gtr+ Piano - Recommendations?

SEH is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '08, '10

Default Mic Budget=$3,500 For Vocals+Ac Gtr+ Piano - Recommendations?

Hello All,
    I have a budget of $3,500 to use on mics for the following sources:
    1) Lead Vocals (Male & Female)
    2) Acoustic Guitar
    3) Piano
    4) Group/Background Vocals

- I need to be able to record at least two of the above sources at the same time with these mics (i.e. Vocals + Acoustic Guitar, or Vocals + Piano, etc.).
    - I would like the ability to employ M-S as well as other stereo techniques.

Please recommend what mics you would buy to meet these goals with this budget.

Thank you for your advice,
    Scott
    Scott
    3D VIP

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

2 Pearlman TM1s would get you an awful lot of horsepower... comes in real close to your limit. Was my primary mic for just about everything for many years. Not exactly a U47, not exactly a U67, somewhere in the middle. If you can't get it done with this, you probably shouldn't record it.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

2 vocals + piano (stereo)? So, you are looking for 4 mics?
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SEH View Post
    Hello All,
    I have a budget of $3,500 to use on mics for the following sources:
    1) Lead Vocals (Male & Female)
    2) Acoustic Guitar
    3) Piano
    4) Group/Background Vocals

- I need to be able to record at least two of the above sources at the same time with these mics (i.e. Vocals + Acoustic Guitar, or Vocals + Piano, etc.).
    - I would like the ability to employ M-S as well as other stereo techniques.

Please recommend what mics you would buy to meet these goals with this budget.

Thank you for your advice,
    Scott
    2x KSM44's.[vocals, piano, ac gtr] + 2x Neumann KM 140's with AK 40 Capsules [ac gtr, piano]
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

I use KSM-44's on my Yamaha C7. Of the LDC's I tried, they "fit" the best. Contenders: AT4060, 4047,4033,4040, AKG414, and a couple more I won't mention. lol!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    I use KSM-44's on my Yamaha C7. Of the LDC's I tried, they "fit" the best. Contenders: AT4060, 4047,4033,4040, AKG414, and a couple more I won't mention. lol!
    The KSMs are a sleeper mic, but they stand strong on a lot of sources. They sound great on API pres. I see a lot of guys using 4047's on piano but I don't like them. I love vintage Neumann SDC mics on piano. Also B&K4011 and 4006 can be money, but they cost money too. The Sanken CU41 is always a contender too. The little Milab condenser sounds great on piano too.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

I always found the Neumann TLM170 to be a great all rounder, often over looked these days. It was used extensively in the development of our mic preamps, and because it has a transformerless output, it is very faithful to the source.
    Buzz Audio THE FUTURE OF GREAT RECORDINGS
    http://www.buzzaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
    I always found the Neumann TLM170 to be a great all rounder, often over looked these days. It was used extensively in the development of our mic preamps, and because it has a transformerless output, it is very faithful to the source.
    And I would add only that the TLM193 (same cap as 170, but cardioid only), while certainly not a "mojo" mic, exhibits the same qualities. Clean, faithful to the source, and with very nice off-axis response.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Well, if you're needing to record vocal and guitar at the same time, I'm thinking you'll need something that will be able to give you a figure 8 pattern. Why not a couple of the AEA N22? I know nothing of the other one that just came out in that same line (the Nuvo models), the N8. I'm thinking these would be great for things you want to use them on.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Beesneez Lulu for the SDC pair. You can still get them 2 for the price of 1 now, and these things sound great on piano, guitar, or anything else I've ever thrown at them.

I agree on the N22 for guitar, would be great in that application as well, but the Lulu also scores big here.

R84 I love for vocals, as well as (again) the N22. I hope to try the N8 out in the near future, but I can't speak to it concretely at this point.
    Last edited by musical charities; 11-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast