Thread: Best Whiskey in the world from Japan?

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Default Best Whiskey in the world from Japan?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-9835583.html

For those of you who I know also enjoy a quality beverage, I thought you may find this story interesting. I find it interesting that the Scottish seem to be losing ground on their own traditional drink to other producers who are putting out increasingly better quality stuff according to professional tasters.

That said, when it comes to my favourite whiskeys, most of them are from Scotland. I didn't see my favourite (Bruichladdich) make their top 10 list.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

[QUOTE=PookyNR;257458]http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-9835583.html

For those of you who I know also enjoy a quality beverage, I thought you may find this story interesting. I find it interesting that the Scottish seem to be losing ground on their own traditional drink to other producers who are putting out increasingly better quality stuff according to professional tasters.

That said, when it comes to my favourite whiskeys, most of them are from Scotland. I didn't see my favourite (Bruichladdich) make their top 10 list.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately the "top 10" player froze on me so I could only see 7 or 8 of them, I have had most of the ones I saw. Balblair is rather ordinary in my opinion, I love Ardbeg Uigeadail it's as full on as you can get but the best Ardbeg I have ever had was the Super Nova release in 2012, amazingly smooth yet very complex, the 2013 Galileo was a bit of a let down though, JW BL is a "drink anytime", with Talisker I like the Storm but prefer the Distillers Edition, Glenfiddich 12 is another "anytime". I started with Bruichladdich 16 as my first single malts and still prefer the Islays over the Highlands, Bruichladdich is still one of my all time favorites.

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

I like a bit of variety. Currently on the shelf is a Balvenie DoubleWood 12 and Single Barrel 15 (my introduction to fine Scotch was The Macallan 18, 20 years ago, so Speyside figures prominently), smooth and deep; for smoke, the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Quarter Cask fit the Islay bill. Normal nightcap is plain old Bushmill's, though if I'm feeling flush when Irish replenishment is in order, Red Breast 12 (single pot still) is very nice; and my son, who is a bourbon connoisseur, has introduced me to Angel's Envy (which is small-batch blended to order by Louisville Distilling Co. for local liquor stores). Also on the "brown" side, Old Forrester is a surprisingly good $18/bottle sip, recommended by my pal Matt Hankins.

Aye, 'tis a wonderful and interesting journey... I'll look for the Bruichladdich, on strength of your two recommendations.

Slainté!

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
    I like a bit of variety. Currently on the shelf is a Balvenie DoubleWood 12 and Single Barrel 15 (my introduction to fine Scotch was The Macallan 18, 20 years ago, so Speyside figures prominently), smooth and deep; for smoke, the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Quarter Cask fit the Islay bill. Normal nightcap is plain old Bushmill's, though if I'm feeling flush when Irish replenishment is in order, Red Breast 12 (single pot still) is very nice; and my son, who is a bourbon connoisseur, has introduced me to Angel's Envy (which is small-batch blended to order by Louisville Distilling Co. for local liquor stores). Also on the "brown" side, Old Forrester is a surprisingly good $18/bottle sip, recommended by my pal Matt Hankins.

Aye, 'tis a wonderful and interesting journey... I'll look for the Bruichladdich, on strength of your two recommendations.

Slainté!

HB

Other than J.D. I have had very little experience with American Whiskey, but I think it was Todd who turned me on to Buffalo Trace which I think is an excellent offering. I have always felt the Macallans, while very drinkable, were rather unexciting compared to some of the more complex single malts.

Best regards, Brian.

My locker today:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3248 - 2014-11-07 at 14-14-05 (1).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	3775  
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shillito View Post
    Other than J.D. I have had very little experience with American Whiskey, but I think it was Todd who turned me on to Buffalo Trace which I think is an excellent offering. I have always felt the Macallans, while very drinkable, were rather unexciting compared to some of the more complex single malts.

Best regards, Brian.

My locker today:
    We should get along very nicely. We are Sapphire fans... but also imbibe Hendrick's (an Irish gin... a bit more floral and with a bit less reliance on juniper) which we serve with Schweppes tonic and a freshly skinned cucumber spear. Absolutely the best G&T we've had.

Also surprising... Famous Grouse blended Scotch. While I despise most of that ilk (JW, Dewars, Cutty, et al) The Grouse is sippable, with a hint of the portion of The Macallan it contains, at less than $20/bottle. It isn't as smooth as Bushmill's... but is in the same league of neat or rocks sippability as Old Forrester, and certainly several cuts above JD (which begs for something to be mixed in, as it's way more heat than flavor, TMWOT). Makes a much tastier S&S than those others as well.

Other small pleasures... Frangelico (her) and Sambucca (me) with fresh, strong coffee (from the AeroPress, when possible)... and the in-house Sangria (her) at El Mariachi, our neighborhood TexMex joint (I stick with the two-for-one supper special on Dos Equis).

My son is a big fan of Buffalo Trace, as well as Bulliet, Corsair (distilled in Nashville and in Bowling Green KY), and a couple of the Woodford Reserve offerings. Last time I was over to his place, he had 8 or 9 Bourbons/Tennessee Sipping Whiskeys on his shelf.

Ahhh... the wonders of potent potables: so many to sip, so little time...

Cheers, mate.

HB
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 11-08-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.