Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackie d8b...Anyone use one with an analog machine?

Default Mackie d8b...Anyone use one with an analog machine?

Just wondering if anyone here ever tried using a d8b with an analog multitrack. If so, thoughts?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I've never used it with an analog deck but I would think it would work well. The only real consideration is the converters. If you don't like the sound of the converters you'd use external AD/DA. Well, that and timecode. I don't recall if it accepts SMPTE, it may require MTC for timecode.

i think if the tape deck accepts MMC commands somehow, the process would likely be somewhat seamless, relatively speaking.

It will work. It had faders, pan pots, volume, and talkback. My thought is "why"? It's the absolute worse sounding piece of garbage I've ever heard. Hell, go buy an old Soundcraft or a TAC. The d8b is the Alesis 3630 of the console world.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Why? Someone's trying to sell one.

Why? Someone's trying to sell one.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    ...It's the absolute worse sounding piece of garbage I've ever heard...
    The analog I/O cards were supposed to be really good (made by Apogee). No? Now, once the audio is in the d8B, who knows what it did to the audio.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

For the time I had a d8b, the conversion was the least of my concerns...keeping it running was at the top of that list. I've listened to some things from eons ago done on it, and it sounded surprising unoffensive, when compared to other events from the same era. The comps were average even by 20 yr old standards, EQ was iffy on a great day. Automation was good, but with a DAW who needs it? Latency when running internal effects was pretty funky. Pres were standard Mackie pres - usable but don't get ANYWHERE near pushing them or they fall apart.

The cards never really settled down in my unit...I could run it for an hour, and they would lose communication with the CPU; then all hell would break loose with no rhyme nor reason behind events - the board would go into full output on all channels for a moment, blowing out tweeters being my favorite. Finally got it repaired enough/had the dealer and Mackie replace every component enough to unload it at a tremendous loss.

Like other items, it was what it was - a good idea that was not fully developed and never really supported. The thing that replaced it - dXb, never made it out of the factory from what I hear.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    The analog I/O cards were supposed to be really good (made by Apogee). No? Now, once the audio is in the d8B, who knows what it did to the audio.
    I spent a day unboxing it, putting it together, and hooking it up to a Studer A827. I spent about 15 minutes listening before I started unhooking it, taking it apart, and boxing it back up. It was horrendous sounding. Sweetwater hit me with a "return fee" of some amount, I can't remember. Later it was revealed that there was a bug that caused the left channel to be a ms or two or three off from the right channel. I used that info to get that "return fee" refunded from Sweetwater. Later my studio partner bought one (with the new cards and new revision). We hooked it up, spent about 15 minutes listening, and then boxed it up and gave it to a missionary who was going to take it to Timbuktu or somewhere like that. Horrible.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Good to know. So relegate it to the scrap heap of cheap digital history and move on?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I wouldn't think they are worth much anymore...and if it breaks there is NO chance of getting it fixed. If one has a 48K only shop in need of a headphone breakout mixer, it would work great, but otherwise....

Again, just an opinion.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast