Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video editing software w/ audio features (?)

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Default Video editing software w/ audio features (?)

I'm looking for some advice on a software package. I need acquire some software to enable me to do some fairly basic video editing but also with the ability to do some touch ups on the audio as well (as in handle some EQ plugs, maybe some peak taming compression, noise reduction). The context is creating video material consisting of mostly spoken presentations with one or two microphones. Pretty simple stuff. Most of it will end up on the web, with a few things ending up on DVD. I'm a quick learner, but currently unfamiliar with video.

What are those of you who know actually know what you're doing using? What would you suggest for simpler tasks like this that would be pleasant to use and get the job done well? iMovie? Final Cut Pro? Adobe Premier?

Thanks in advance!
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

I use Camtasia for creating educational lecture videos of PowerPoint narrations, and it does have some limited, but nice, audio features. I don't think you can use plugins within it, though. It does exactly what I need, but it's no Final Cut Pro.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I'll look into that, thanks!

I should mention that I would like something that will handle Sony MXF files from an XAVC Sony camera. As I look around it appears I either need to use a more serious software suite or do some file conversions before import.
    Last edited by PookyNR; 03-11-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Nathan

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

PC or Mac? (yeah, that question exists in video too lol)

I use FCPX at work and my son uses Vegas at home. Vegas, being a Sony product, I would hope can handle the camera files you want. Not sure about FCPX.
    As far as the audio touch ups, I know each has some basic ability, but I'll have to do some homework to answer definitively.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Mac preferably. But if necessary a PC rig is not out of the question (even though I think Win8 is spawn of Satan).

I'm leaning towards FCPX. Apparently it is able to work natively with XACV MXF files. Premiere is also a contender, but it's not priced as attractively. As well, the whole 'Creative Cloud' thing is a massive turn off of Adobe. Premiere Elements might suffice, but I'm looking through the gotchas to see exactly what little detail is missing that I might need. Avid looks like a no-go. Vegas does look intriguing.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    ...I think Win8 is spawn of Satan...
    Whoa. Careful. That's harsh words against Satan.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

I've only been using win8.1 on my home computer for a couple weeks, and so far I don't hate it. Then again, I'm not doing any audio or video work on it. (I have an XP partition for when I need to use my PT at home. Not prepared financially to upgrade that yet).
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Whoa. Careful. That's harsh words against Satan.
    Touche.

Nathan

Just so you know, I know a few FCPX video houses that are moving to Premiere. The "dumbing down" (amateurization) of the feature set in FCPX (think GarageBand for video) is the main reason they cite. That actually might be a plus for most people however. For professional video editors with years of experience, I think it's a disincentive.

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    Mac preferably. But if necessary a PC rig is not out of the question (even though I think Win8 is spawn of Satan).

I'm leaning towards FCPX. Apparently it is able to work natively with XACV MXF files. Premiere is also a contender, but it's not priced as attractively. As well, the whole 'Creative Cloud' thing is a massive turn off of Adobe. Premiere Elements might suffice, but I'm looking through the gotchas to see exactly what little detail is missing that I might need. Avid looks like a no-go. Vegas does look intriguing.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Just so you know, I know a few FCPX video houses that are moving to Premiere. The "dumbing down" (amateurization) of the feature set in FCPX (think GarageBand for video) is the main reason they cite. That actually might be a plus for most people however. For professional video editors with years of experience, I think it's a disincentive.
    Yes. A couple of my friends in Vancouver who work in film both use Premiere. It seems to be the preferred standard among the few video pros that I know. But they still speak highly of FCPX as some in their circles use it as their preferred rig. The last few revisions have brought back needed features after the big re-write.

For me, looking at both suites, I'm leaning more heavily towards FCPX. The way that they have laid out certain features, while different, is quite brilliant (in line with the way my mind organizes things). Since my needs are modest, the feature set is robust enough for my needs. I don't miss the tweak-head features that were removed with the re-write. I won't be editing LOTR part 4 any time soon. Haha!

While Adobe has an enviable compatibility between all Adobe applications that appears seamless, I don't know that I want to get sucked into 'Adobe world.' Their new business model 'concerns' me at this point. From my vantage, it appears overall more expensive. And annoying. Ha!

Nathan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast