Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video editing software w/ audio features (?)

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

So Harry, what is it that you use to do your editing and video black magic?
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Nathan...

I started in computer-edited DV in 1998 or so on Radius EditDV and a Mac clone tower. FCP was released in 1999 or early Y2K and I moved to it, and a G4 tower. Been there through a G4DP, G5 and am currently on FCP7 on a 2008 8-Core MacPro tower. I'm not interested in 4K (clients are still requiring SD DVDs, streamable files and YouTube/Vimeo delivery) and, until it breaks, will soldier on as currently equipped (3-wide monitor workspace with an upgraded video card, Tannoy Series 800a w/sub) or until enough straight video production comes my way to make a move to a top-end iMac and the FCPX learning curve a profitable endeavour. I've cut on Premiere and, while I got done what was needed to get done, I was far from efficient and my language rapidly deteriorated. Under my breath. In a church office... I'm not quite comfy with the Creative Cloud interminable leasing plan, so I'll likely stay put.

As to audio... I record pop/jazz/rock/Americana primarily on location, and primarily via StudioLive 24.4.2 straight to a Logic session. Classical gigs are usually via an Apogee Ensemble with a D.A.V. Broadhurst Gardens 8 on the front end. You can see some samples here: https://vimeo.com/user4465700/videos

The Lee Roy Parnell rough and the Sean O'Brien Smith jazz clip are both SL24.4.2 captures, mixed in the box, for a client reference. The Stradivari Quartett clip was a job for Christian Amonson at artslaureate.com. It was captured to HDD via the Apogee/BG8 and backed up live to a HD24. It was also my last HDV/tape-based job.

For day-in/day-out YouTube channel work, I'm usually on my late-2011 MacBook Pro (8GB RAM) pulling clips from the D800's SDHC cards. Pretty much everything these days is captured via AtomOs recorders (Samurai HD/SDI from Sony Z1U via AJA AnalogHD-to-HD/SDI converter; Ninja2 from D800 HDMI) direct to ProRes 422 or 422HD. Makes for a pretty smooth workflow. Camera-captured audio (direct D800/Senny RF for talking heads... TASCAM DR60-D for phantom mics and/or board mixes) is manipulated directly within FCP7; final bounces from Logic import really well, with only very occasional clocking issues on long-form stuff, which are easily fixed when they appear.

And that's all I know about that!

HB
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 03-13-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
    I've cut on Premiere and, while I got done what was needed to get done, I was far from efficient and my language rapidly deteriorated. Under my breath. In a church office... I'm not quite comfy with the Creative Cloud interminable leasing plan, so I'll likely stay put.
    I'm glad to hear you say that. Not the part about cussing in church. Though that's mildly amusing. I also was not impressed with Premiere and its workflow. And Adobe's CC business model is not appealing. So far I'm appreciating FCPX, though there's much to learn, especially as a video newbie.

Nathan

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

I do mostly video conversions (VHS, Hi8 tape to DVD), and had been using FCP6 on a G5 for years (since 2006, I think) until last December, when I started noticing odd behavior from my computer. I talked my boss into upgrading my system (had to do Protools as well) and literally the day after we placed the order, that computer completely crapped out on me. (at least I was right about something).

The differences in FCP versions took a bit to get used to, but honestly it wasn't that hard. So far the biggest thing I dislike is not having DVD Studio Pro anymore. The authoring capabilities seem drastically limited now.

Anyone know a good DVD authoring program that allows COMPLETE flexibility in menu creation?

EDIT...capturing video from VHS is the WORST if you don't have a capture card. I have to capture with Quicktime through a DV deck then import it into FCPX. I almost forgot about that part.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Baldwin View Post
    Anyone know a good DVD authoring program that allows COMPLETE flexibility in menu creation?
    Surprisingly, the options for DVD authoring software have been fairly sad for a few years now. The Apple iDVD that has been discontinued for a number of years used to be quite decent.

Nathan

Happy to hear you settled on FCP, great app.

As relates to Vegas, I know a few guys on Mac who installed Win bootcamp on their systems just to run Vegas. It's unique in one regard because it started out life as an audio recorder / editor and works pretty much like any audio workstation. Sony added the video bits later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123