Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tire graveyard: I never knew about this

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default Tire graveyard: I never knew about this

    This is amazing. Even visible from space. Which is actually not saying much these days since even a basketball is visible from space now.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...een-space.html
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Crazy! So they juts cover them with sand and forget about them? I guess recycling centers would be too burdensome.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    They don't look covered with sand to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Not saying that I do this nor encourage it, but unless the recycling center takes the stuff for free or with a government subsidy, you can count on people to just ditch their old tv, mattresses , tires on the side of an old road after dark. At least that's the way it was over here until recently. The city/government found it more expensive to pay the bills themselves for cleaning up the streets in the end, so now all our recycling centers do take that stuff without a fee. I'm guessing there are some places out there where it is still more convenient to just dump your junk elsewhere...
    Last edited by musical charities; 03-18-2015 at 07:48 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Whenever I go canoeing/kayaking,vI'm always shocked at how and what and where people dump garbage.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    Not saying that I do this nor encourage it, but unless the recycling center takes the stuff for free or with a government subsidy, you can count on people to just ditch their old tv, mattresses , tires on the side of an old road after dark. At least that's the way it was over here until recently. The city/government found it more expensive to pay the bills themselves for cleaning up the streets in the end, so now all our recycling centers do take that stuff without a fee. I'm guessing there are some places out there where it is still more convenient to just dump your junk elsewhere...
    Here, we have county drop-off locations, in addition to the county landfills. We are charged a yearly fee as part of our taxes (not exactly sure of price, but about $60/year). Problem is, their hours of operation are so whacked, and their "rules" are even worse, that some people hate to deal with them to the point of, well, you know...

    For example...They have a rule of "no construction materials, such as lumber, shingles, etc." at the drop-off locations. I get it. A builder could abuse that and quickly fill up their bins. But, I couldn't throw away a 4' piece of 2x4. What? I have to carry it where? Nope. Not gonna do it.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Problem is, their hours of operation are so whacked, and their "rules" are even worse, that some people hate to deal with them to the point of, well, you know...

    For example...They have a rule of "no construction materials, such as lumber, shingles, etc." at the drop-off locations. I get it. A builder could abuse that and quickly fill up their bins. But, I couldn't throw away a 4' piece of 2x4. What? I have to carry it where? Nope. Not gonna do it.
    In general, that's my beef with they way things are sometimes run. I am totally for the idea of recycling, making the world a better place, and such. The problem arises when the local facilities or city/county government makes it so bleeping hard to make that difference that it is an outright burden or inconvenience trying to do so. For the average, busy family, I'd say that the burdens of dealing with hauling ones heavier, useless "stuff" and subsequently finding out that the facility won't take your item, or will charge a hefty fee, can really outweigh the benefits. And I'm not even talking about hazardous waste, or items that aren't recyclable. Just the regular stuff...

    Doubly frustrating for me are the cases where fees are imposed and the company STILL turns a profit on the recycling of the item/material.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

  8. #8
    Wireline's Avatar
    Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Midland Tx
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    People actually wait til dark? Wow…

    This is just one small price we pay for a myriad of Q-related topics: over-population, blatant consumerism; cheap products vs quality products; extreme govt regulation by making people pay out the wazoo to do the right thing…

    Just thank goodness no one has set that monstrosity on fire yet.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Whenever I go canoeing/kayaking,vI'm always shocked at how and what and where people dump garbage.
    "Yeah, I'm tired of that," he said as he ducked and ran.
    John Whitmer

    "They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Similar Threads

  1. Like a stroll through a digital graveyard...
    By 3daudioinc in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
  2. Who knew?
    By 3daudioinc in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
  3. If You Knew Now...
    By Extreme Mixing in forum 3dB Mixtravaganza Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •