Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Many Years Ago Did I Predict This?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post

What sucks is, I've talked to several artists who are asking, "Now what?" - They would have no idea how to go out and collect the revenue due them on their own yet a hundred bucks per quarter is a $400/yr they really need...
    Great question - NOW what? Like owning/operating a small studio, it appears that it costs more the be a published/managed songwriter or admin of such than the income it generates…so what, other than enjoyment, is the point anymore?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Great question - NOW what? Like owning/operating a small studio, it appears that it costs more the be a published/managed songwriter or admin of such than the income it generates…so what, other than enjoyment, is the point anymore?
    Add to that the fact that the general public just does not seem to care, and even if they do they still don't think twice about accepting free music being fed to them like steak on a garbage can lid through horrible quality distribution methods. I went to a couple's home for dinner not too long ago and they actually had their iPhone sitting on the counter supplying the music, not in a Dock, just the (expletive)ing phone! It was like pulling teeth to get them to switch to their PC speakers in the other room, it still sounded like crap but albeit a step up! Seems as though Don McLean may have been more right than anyone would care to admit...

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

Sounds like awesome thing to do at someone else's place, Brian. I'll have to try that one sometime, especially if I can't really stand the person and really want to get under their skin.

It seems that most people really don't care about what medium their music is played on as long as they can always play that right song for the right occasions. My wife is fine placing her phone on the table for streaming "our song" when she could just as easily hook the phone up to her good speakers. She's perfectly ok dancing to the small, puny sound that comes out of it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    Sounds like awesome thing to do at someone else's place, Brian. I'll have to try that one sometime, especially if I can't really stand the person and really want to get under their skin.
    You lost me M.C. try what? Do you mean asking to upgrade the sound or serving dinner on a trash can lid (which was just a metaphor)? Remember you are dealing with a guy who's first major purchase after becoming employed at the (legal) age of 16 was a stereo system which cost more than his second major purchase, a car!

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Who added the "AT"?

"It was like pulling teeth to get them to switch to their PC speakers in the other room". Sorry, my mobile doesn't like quoting, or I'd have done it.

It seems that most people really don't care about what medium their music is played on as long as they can always play that right song for the right occasions. My wife is fine placing her phone on the table for streaming "our song" when she could just as easily hook the phone up to her good speakers. She's perfectly ok dancing to the small, puny sound that comes out of it, too.

Proves my point, guys pour their lives and hearts and hard earned cash out to deliver a great sounding mix and the end user plays it through a speaker that probably added .75 to the cost of the delivery system.

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Who added the "AT"?

"It was like pulling teeth to get them to switch to their PC speakers in the other room". Sorry, my mobile doesn't like quoting, or I'd have done it.

Really? I didn't think twice.

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Who added the "AT"?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Even if it is automated someone still has to tabulate splits, usually on both the writing AND publishing sides. So that 54-cent payment from Pandora has to be tabulated amongst all writers and then all publishers and then the admin gets 15% of whoever he admins for...
    That's what I figured.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123