Thread: Wrist Watches

Default Wrist Watches

I like a nice wristwatch, but, historically, "nice" to me has been a good Timex. Lately, I've had my eyes on a couple of different Citizen and Bulova watches...oh, and a very nice Tag Heuer model. BUT, I know nothing about watches in the $200+ category, nor the $2000+ category, either. My current watch is a Timex Indigo camper model with leather band that has been a great watch (about 15 years old). So, any advice from the timepiece connoisseurs, here? Do you actually "get what you pay for?" or are most of these just a name or fashion statement?
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Rich Mays, my guide to mechanical things precisely made and made to last, was a pilot, a Tag Heuer owner, and a fan. If I had the scratch, I'd buy one based upon his example alone... as I also bought a HD24, a used BMW 328i, a pair of TLM193s, a pair of DPA4061s, and several other similarly well-built, (mostly) German-engineered items upon his recommendation, and from him, to my great benefit.

I owned a Rolex for about two weeks in the late '80s (long story...) and, when next I actually needed a watch (my Casio calculator watch finally but the dust, and they had ceased making them, around 1997), I looked quickly at used Rolex, and decided a Wenger Swiss Army brand, styled after the inimitable Rolex Submariner, would, at $79.00 at Sam's Club) would do just fine. And it has. It's dinged, scratched and chipped, but I can't seem to kill the bloomin' thing. Sam's still has a similar model, but they're $139.00 these days.

And that's what I know about that.

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I haven't worn nor owned a watch in 3 decades. What is the point, as everyone else has one, and every piece of electronica I own has a timekeeper in it…I admire them, but always from afar

Aside from a wedding ring I don't wear any jewelry on my arms/hands anyway… funny that way
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I love nice watches. I love nice pens. I love nice cameras.

The nicest watch I ever owned was a Movado with a solid white face, roman numerals and an amethyst (my birthstone) crown. I love the shape of the hands on some nice watches. (It's the little things, what can I say?)

After three replacement alligator straps and three battery changes, I finally retired it to a drawer because I'm too hard on watches and the crystal was getting all scratched up. I've used my phone for time keeping ever since.

I do have my grandfather's 18K gold, 21-jewel Waltham pocket watch from the early 1900s though. It's one of my few treasures.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    ...Aside from a wedding ring I don't wear any jewelry on my arms/hands anyway… funny that way
    Me too. It took me a few years getting used to wearing a wedding ring (I still don't really like to). As a general rule, I also don't like jewelry on a woman. It's distracting...in a bad way. But, I've always adored watches for their technical craftsmanship, and, as such, I obviously don't like the ones that lean toward the "jewelry" look. My favorite watch ever was a see-through Swatch I had as a high schooler. Being able to view the inner workings was as cool as it got! It quit working after a day of motocross practice.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I love nice watches. I love nice pens. I love nice cameras.

I do have my grandfather's 18K gold, 21-jewel Waltham pocket watch from the early 1900s though. It's one of my few treasures.
    Absolutely…these are not really the same category, IMO. Pocket watches are a several steps above wristwatches in class, function, and, well, cool. There is something about a higher end pocket watch that exudes and commands the room. I used to wear one, but the things kept getting smushed as wearing a vest just isn't feasible in West Texas during the summer. Winter time, yeah, and I still do - just make SURE the fob chain is properly clean and for heaven's sake, free of kinks.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I've never been a big jewelry wearer. Is that a man thing or an engineer thing? I like being unencumbered. Now I wear one ring. No watch, no necklaces, no wristbands. I don't even carry a pocketknife with me any more. I have one car key and one house key. Add a wallet and a phone and I'm out the door. I even leave my keys in the car (Ford code access) when I'm out and about. I like to travel lean.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Sometimes watches can be a real hassle…last time I worked on a cattle ranch, my pocket watch's chain broke just as I was herding a calf into the pesticide dip…

Killed all the ticks.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

I've had a few decent watches and bought several good ones for my wife. She still loves to wear watches. Like most of you, I care for few accessories on my person and I'm hard on watches. I have found that there are certain brands where all you are paying for is the brand name and styling. There are other watches where the craftsmanship is apparent in the enduring quality and enduring style. If you are looking for a quality piece, I'd suggest going to a real / reputable jeweller (as opposed to a more generic retail store). You'll pay a few bucks for the quality, but a quality piece will prove its worth.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan