Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubase upgrade question

Default Cubase upgrade question

Hi Everybody,

Here's what I want to do (to save about $200), I want to buy CUBASE 7 (or 7.5) since it is discounted to about $329 right now. CUBASE 8 PRO is about $549.

I was told by Steinberg Support that I can "install the latest version of the eLicenser Control Center", using the USB-eLicenser key, and upon entering the 32-character Activation Code, and "once the Cubase 7 license is activated, it should automatically upgrade itself to a Cubase Pro 8 license. (As long as it is a valid un-used Cubase 7 license)".

Even though I have an email right from Steinberg Support, I would like to know if you know anyone that has done this.

I'm not hip to the USB-eLicenser, so I guess I'm just not understanding where or how the store bought 7 turns into 8.

I can follow the directions they sent me, but not understanding exactly what's happening has me worried that I could mess something up.

Any one want to ease my mind and tell me, "Yeah it will work"?

Ha,

Thanks,

Zucco

All I can say is make sure you back up everything before you do the install. Experience has taught me that,

Thanks,
    I will make sure everything is safe. Really? Just installing a new program is risky? So you think I'll be OK if I follow their directions?

I refuse to speculate. I would hope you could trust what they say, and I'm sure it has worked for them. There is always an element of faith when crossing the upgrade bridge. There are frequently "mitigating circumstances." I've encountered them. On the phone with tech support and you hear "That's exactly what we did and it worked here...."

I will only say "have a safety net."

Ha, like bite the bullet and spend the extra $200!

It amazes me of the number of people that don't backup anything! And I know. I deal with students that whine and moan when they lose their flash drives...and I silently laugh at them, because I give them all "the talk" at the beginning of every semester...in every course. My studio work (audio files, sessions, and documents) and computer (OS and software) is backed up in three places, and one of those is off-site. My personal stuff...everything...is backed up on two different external drives.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I have had clients call and say "I can't mount my main music drive. What should I do?" After walking them through a few steps, it sometimes ends with "Well, you may just have to restore from the backup."

(Crickets...)

Which is followed by the discussion about how incredibly expensive drive restoration is (in the multiple thiusands), usually with a comparison to how much a blank backup drive would have cost instead (barely a hundred).

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Zucco View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Here's what I want to do (to save about $200), I want to buy CUBASE 7 (or 7.5) since it is discounted to about $329 right now. CUBASE 8 PRO is about $549.

I was told by Steinberg Support that I can "install the latest version of the eLicenser Control Center", using the USB-eLicenser key, and upon entering the 32-character Activation Code, and "once the Cubase 7 license is activated, it should automatically upgrade itself to a Cubase Pro 8 license. (As long as it is a valid un-used Cubase 7 license)".

Even though I have an email right from Steinberg Support, I would like to know if you know anyone that has done this.

I'm not hip to the USB-eLicenser, so I guess I'm just not understanding where or how the store bought 7 turns into 8.

I can follow the directions they sent me, but not understanding exactly what's happening has me worried that I could mess something up.

Any one want to ease my mind and tell me, "Yeah it will work"?

Ha,

Thanks,

Zucco
    The e-licenser application is similar to the iLok application / website. All it will do is control the licenses on your Syncrosoft USB software key. What it sounds like is that if you buy a new version of Cubase 7 that they will upgrade you for free to Cubase 8. The claim that you will get the 8 license automatically downloaded from the Cubase 7 activation code is something that I would have them verify over the phone again as that sounds spotty. But that is what they are saying - you'll get the V.8 license sent to your USB key rather than the V.7

As far as downloading the actual software goes, that's the easy part. All their versions are available for download from their website. The issue here is the licenses.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

So, you're saying, if the upgrade of the license to 8 is good then just downloading 8 will give me 8?

I'm assuming the 7 activation code is labled on the disc sleeve or somewhere when I buy and open the box.

(sorry if I sound a little thick, I never dealt with the eLicense thing before)

I understand that the stores no longer have to send old product back, so it sounds feasable to do it this way.

Thanks

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Zucco View Post
    So, you're saying, if the upgrade of the license to 8 is good then just downloading 8 will give me 8?

I'm assuming the 7 activation code is labled on the disc sleeve or somewhere when I buy and open the box.

(sorry if I sound a little thick, I never dealt with the eLicense thing before)

I understand that the stores no longer have to send old product back, so it sounds feasable to do it this way.

Thanks
    Yes. If you have the license download on to your Syncrosoft USB key, you're golden. The issue is the license.

I just read on their website that they are indeed doing the grace period upgrade - if you buy 7 now that 8 is out, they'll give you 8.

As for the downloads of the actual full installation of the software, that happens from their website. Sign in, and away you go.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast