Thread: Headphones for tracking

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Default Headphones for tracking

I need to get a few new sets of headphones for tracking a project that I'm involved with. Since its been a while since my last headphone purchase, I'm wondering if there are any new products worth looking at.

Currently I use Beyer DT770 and Sennheiser HD280 for tracking. I've been quite happy with them as have those who have used them. But it never hurts to ask those in the know who may have a hot tip on a great product worth checking out.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    ...Sennheiser HD280...
    Those are great. And, Newegg has them for $69.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Shure 840s I bought for Carol last year. They're more expensive than the way HD280s (I paid $150), but seal the room out way better. Been enjoying them on Encore Westerns and Palladia in the living room after she hits the hay. I prefer to monitor location gigs on my UltraSones, but they're in another league altogether.

Check BSW online for "package" deals on Sennheiser. I seem to recall 5 pairs of the $79 cans bundled for $200 or so within the past six months.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

We're willing to pay a few bucks if there's something that performs well. I'll check out those Shure 840s. Thanks for the tip, Harry.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Those are great. And, Newegg has them for $69.

Even with the crazy $USD / $CDN exchange rate that's super cheap! Thanks for the tip!

Nathan

If you need some that are cheap, heavy on the bass, and will be used by people that probably won't respect your equipment, the 5-pack of Sennheiser HD-202's are great ($89). I have them and they are nice, disposable cans. Just don't expect them to be stellar.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

For this project, I'm not worried about wear and tear. I'm looking for quality. We're going to have some good players come in, so I'm trying to help it be the best experience possible.

Nathan

I've got several of the GC versions of the DT770 (80 ohm) headphones and they work great. Very good sound and isolation, especially for drummers. I've got the Shure 840, and while I like how they sound, for me, they're a bit on the heavy side. Granted, I prefer the sound of open back headphones, which make them lighter but also not very good for tracking, especially if there's a click involved. I also have several of the Shure 440. Forward sounding and get the job done but not something I could listen to for extended periods of time. Might be good for the 7506 crowd.

I also have a great set of Ultrasone models from the HFI models. A bit on the colored side but every bass player I've ever let use them have loved them. There's an emphasis in the low end (advertised as great for home theater and gaming IFRC) but the low end is really tuneful and not at all bloated sounding. I think the current replacement is the HFI 580 (mine were the 750). Bought the 780 and found that it's not the same model. They have come in handy for on location sound as their cable is straight and about 4' long.
    Finally, if these are musicians that play live, they might very well have their own in-ear monitors. Not a bad option.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Ditto that about the IEMs. I didn't like the 440s... but I do like my Shure SE215s for general listening on an airplane (I use the "flimsy" thin rubber tips) and, if a pal hadn't sold me his Westone UM Pro2s for a C-note, I'd still be happy with them. FWIW, we ran six pairs of them (SE215) at RHCC, requiring folks without decent IEM buds to use them, with us supplying the foamie/silicon tips. After each service, they stowed the buds (fishing tackle box), first pulling their tips and stowing them in a snack-sized baggie with their name on it. If these are for folks who will be in and out over a period of time, and you need a $100 solution with decent sound, a good room seal, and $1-$4 per set replacement tips, I can recommend these.

Henry... I'm on ProLine 650 UltraSones since 2009, used mainly for quick "in-the-box" rough mixes onsite, and for location choral and orchestral recording. The extended low end lets me know if the HVAC or stage noise is gonna be a problem, and if the mics are in the right spot (given that there's a warmup/rehearsal period that allows placement/mic selection changes). If it's a loud environment, I'll do the Westones under a pair of -25dB shooting muffs. That's some isolation...

HB
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 04-12-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

That's helpful feedback, gentlemen. Thanks!

Nathan