Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 1 Microphone.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    La verne, CA
    Posts
    1,350

    Default 1 Microphone.....

    Ok guys,

    You've got to do live sound and recordings in the studio, and you only have one choice of mic.
    As many as you want, but only one.

    Mine is the Beyer M-201

    How bout Ya'll?

    -jp
    I need more cowbell!
    ____________________
    JP AUDIO - La Verne, CA
    myspace.com/johnparrymusic
    (626) 862-3661

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    These days I've honestly fallen in love with the Beesneez Judas Tube Ribbon mic. Brilliant for every application I've thrown at it, plays well with everything in the mix, but still manages to stand out in a good way. I still like others for various other purposes, but if I had to choose one, that would be it.

    In general, it seems to me that Beesneez microphones are unsung heroes still waiting to be discovered. Everything I have used from them is absolutely killer in both price and performance. The Judas Tube though....totallly blows me away, and the mics I was using before it are certainly no slouches...

    Can't say anything about live sound for it though, just caught that part. Beyer mics have also worked well for me for that, though.
    Last edited by musical charities; 04-28-2015 at 03:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NashVegas
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Probably a Neumann TLM193. It has no mojo... but it never gets in the way of the music. Sweet off-axis response for a cardioid, as well. If I couldn't have that... a DPA4061. Absolutely the most useful mic in my kit, onstage, on-instrument, in the air in an AB pair, on a clip (or taped behind a collar) for on-camera talent. There's nothing much it won't do well. Except suck.

    But I'd really like two.

    HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

    "I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    ...Beesneez microphones are unsung heroes still waiting to be discovered....
    I'm very close to getting a pair of Lulu's. Very close.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
    Probably a Neumann TLM193. It has no mojo... but it never gets in the way of the music. Sweet off-axis response for a cardioid, as well. If I couldn't have that... a DPA4061. Absolutely the most useful mic in my kit, onstage, on-instrument, in the air in an AB pair, on a clip (or taped behind a collar) for on-camera talent. There's nothing much it won't do well. Except suck.

    But I'd really like two.

    HB
    Yes and yes. I have four of the DPA 4060s (the 4061 is a lower sensitivity version). I love them. Hanging under the bridge of a cello or upright bass, inside the grand with the lid closed, ambiance...works for all of it.

    I'd offer that the Neumann TLM 170 also has no mojo, but is multi-pattern with the same exceptional off-axis response. I ended up buying the two that Rich Mays owned and I've grown very fond of them. I'll probably buy a couple more.
    John Whitmer

    "They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NashVegas
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    My 193s came from Rich as well... he sold me two of his five (!) in order to buy the 170s, I think. He also sold me the 4061s in 2008. I must say, he never sold me anything I didn't need, or love.

    Not that he never tried to... :-)

    Miss him regularly.

    HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

    "I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
    My 193s came from Rich as well... he sold me two of his five (!) in order to buy the 170s, I think. He also sold me the 4061s in 2008. I must say, he never sold me anything I didn't need, or love.

    Not that he never tried to... :-)

    Miss him regularly.

    HB
    Hahahaha - two of my four 4060s came from Rich! We bought/sold/loaned/traded a number of times.

    Yes, I too miss him regularly.
    John Whitmer

    "They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    I'm very close to getting a pair of Lulu's. Very close.
    You'll have to let me know whatcha think when the time comes! It'll be nice to know what someone else on the board has to say or think about these things, as far as I know, I think I'm the only one at this point, but I could be wrong...

    There are a few on GS for sure, but that doesn't count
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Of what i own/know, probably the DPA 4060's. I haven't had need of the 4061 in any circumstance to date.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

  10. #10
    PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    6,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john parry View Post
    Ok guys,

    You've got to do live sound and recordings in the studio, and you only have one choice of mic.
    As many as you want, but only one.

    Mine is the Beyer M-201

    How bout Ya'll?

    -jp
    What is the application? Vocal? General instrument?
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

    Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's this microphone...?
    By Karl Lohninger in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 04:29 AM
  2. Microphone Use
    By Mattychampion in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM
  3. FS: Big ER Microphone
    By Johnkenn in forum 3D Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
  4. Hi Hat microphone?
    By Giorgio in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 06:01 PM
  5. Using EQ instead of a different Microphone
    By Jim Dugger in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •