Thread: Less new gear?

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Default Less new gear?

Is it just my perception or is there less new equipment being developed by audio engineering designers? I'm not hearing nearly as much as I used to about new equipment offerings.

If my perception is correct, it stands to reason that the current state of the business with lower revenues would mean lower gear sales.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Seems the opposite to me, I feel like I get bombarded with new gear every time I open up the Sweetwater catalog. More than I could ever hope to afford to try...I did for example noticed the new Manley pres there, would love to have a go at them...just a wee bit short of cash...

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I hadn't noticed, to be honest. I quit looking for at these things some time ago, and only really engage any catalogs and such when I am looking for something VERY specific. Chances of 'them' inventing something new are pretty slim
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    I hadn't noticed, to be honest. I quit looking for at these things some time ago, and only really engage any catalogs and such when I am looking for something VERY specific. Chances of 'them' inventing something new are pretty slim
    Well for me I'd have never noticed the Space Station V3 "stereo" keyboard amp which I've personally fallen in love with had it not been for the SW catalog...

With this being said the cycle of manufactures creating products living a short life span and turning into discontinued products seems to be as "healthy" as ever these days....there is always something in line to fill the void whenever something seemingly "new" is needed.

The number of "me too" products is shocking to me, especially when it comes to Chinese imports. I see the same product in a dozen different disguises/colors/brands. I guess they're all finding customers.

The thing that seems to be taking a hit is innovation. Products like Retro's DoubleWide, which is a new design, seem to be fewer and farther between.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Yeah, that's it, there's a bottom-feeder war on to make the 100th clone of an 1176 and make it cheaper than anyone else, but not a lot of stuff that's truly new seems to get much attention.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Sounds like we need a "New innovative gear list" thread

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

That's just it...what we need is more original music, not more stuff. Original music is done by performers, not by machines.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Not sure I entirely agree there Ken. I've gotten quite a few new instruments this year, and while one could argue that the music comes exclusively from me as a musician, and that after a certain price point the instrument itself becomes irrelevant, it seems almost folly for one to do so.

Point in hand: For decades clarinet designers have avoided designing clarinets out of materials other than grenadilla wood. Until recently, no professional designer would even dare using a material such as hard rubber since so many of elitist/purist mentalities out there have been conditioned over time to be adverse to any thing else. Yet after trying and now owning 2 rubber clarinets, I not only get the dark beautiful tone and response I could never get from my old wood horn, I now get all that without the typical risk of wood warping over time. I got something better than any other pro model horn of used to date.

Too many "me too" products saturate and hit in the clarinet world as well, but the common thread is that I still think there are important and quantifiable audible strides that can be made in gear manufacturing a well, but it does require a bit of thinking outside of the conventional norm, just like I now see rubber as not only a valid clarinet material but also a game changer for me. Just my 2 cents...

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    The number of "me too" products is shocking to me, especially when it comes to Chinese imports. I see the same product in a dozen different disguises/colors/brands. I guess they're all finding customers.

The thing that seems to be taking a hit is innovation. Products like Retro's DoubleWide, which is a new design, seem to be fewer and farther between.
    So are you thinking that low sales aren't necessarily lower? (The problem being the activities of more Behringer like copy-cat companies.)

Irony: Now that Behringer is buying up a number of major manufacturing labels, I wonder how the knock-offs are going to affect them...
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan