Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here ever work on a Tascam X-48 Deck

Default Anybody here ever work on a Tascam X-48 Deck

By work, I mean do a project, not repair one. If so, what was your experience like. Did you like it or were you frustrated by it's lack of DAW features (whatever those might be, as it has some internal features included)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P1FbyBjJqA

It seems to be very similar to the old Mackie MDR/HDR recorders. I still have my Mackie MDR-24/96 and, in many ways, miss working on it. It sits in the rack as a backup. It had the feel of a real tape machine. Just something about it I miss. If I primarily did tracking for clients, as opposed to editing and mixing, I'd probably still be using it.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

You might check Remote Possibilities over on GS... Forum moderator Steve Remote runs a couple of X48 rigs as primary acquisition gear out of his trucks up NYC way. Should be lots of chatter (on the best-mannered and most informative - usually - forum over there) and no small amount of info extant. You might even direct any queries unanswered by a couple of searches directly to Steve. He's good people.

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

I think I may be ready to bet the farm on a RADAR Studio Deck (Configured for Nuendo)! http://www.izcorp.com/products/radar/ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iZ RADAR.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	3807

The entire concept of this deck really speaks to my soul! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-EG5uezw0 I despise all of the lost time I have to deal with just keeping a system working (Chasing drivers, relentless updates just to stay where I am, NO PRODUCT SUPPORT from dozens of vendors, now, this subscription pricing model madness and on and on....). I want to be able to just go into my studio, turn on my desk and recorder and get to work! Instead, I've got a constant state of mild anxiety wondering IF everything will just turn on (Nuendo 6.5? Check. Euphonix MC Control? Crashed. Now we've got a 1 minute to 1 hr. delay tracking down those issues. OR, they both check and the VSTi's won't because of a dropped license connection or driver incompatibility that occurred when Win-7 updated overnight. Once again, and on and on....)! The price is steep (almost $20K). But IF it means I could work like I did back in the 80's & 90's (ie: tools were invisible and my focus was on the actual composition, the arrangement or producing and NOT tracking down problems!!!), I'm pretty sure it would pay for itself within a year (not to mention the emotional RELIEF that would be almost immediate, once proven)!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    ...I despise all of the lost time I have to deal with just keeping a system working...I want to be able to just go into my studio, turn on my desk and recorder and get to work! Instead, I've got a constant state of mild anxiety wondering IF everything will just turn on...
    Well, that was my exact situation prior to 2008 (I've written about it on this forum so I won't repeat it in detail here). At least an hour each day spent on PC problems...no joke. Once I spent $3K on a Mac Pro and ditched my XP machine (Windows) in the studio, ALL of my computer problems disappeared. People will argue back and forth about Win vs. Mac, and that's okay. But, in MY recording studio, moving away from Windows was the BEST thing I ever did. And, I was scared...never used a Mac before that decision. Always have been a PC guy.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Well, that was my exact situation prior to 2008 (I've written about it on this forum so I won't repeat it in detail here). At least an hour each day spent on PC problems...no joke. Once I spent $3K on a Mac Pro and ditched my XP machine (Windows) in the studio, ALL of my computer problems disappeared. People will argue back and forth about Win vs. Mac, and that's okay. But, in MY recording studio, moving away from Windows was the BEST thing I ever did. And, I was scared...never used a Mac before that decision. Always have been a PC guy.
    Did you watch the Promo? Henderson pointed out that in 2012, when Apple stopped it's users from adding cards and drives inside the computer it got a lot "clunkier" to build a system, as it required you to buy multiple devices from multiple manufacturers.
    1) Buy Apple Computer
    2) Buy Thunderbolt box
    3) Buy Interface Card for the Thunderbolt box
    4) Buy Thunderbolt Cable to connect the box to the computer
    5) Install Buy Thunderbolt Drivers
    6) Buy AD/DA Converters
    7) Buy a Synch Box
    8) Buy a Wordclock
    9) Buy a Control Surface (Optional)

Depending on your purchases you could end up with dozens of components from several manufacturers, all with different warranties and versions of (NON-)product support. I would add that this same list applies to PC's as well. In "either camp," my hope was to build this dedicated computer and use it like a single piece of hardware (like an HDR). But all the updates/upgrades from all those manufacturers made that impossible!!

According to the promo, I can, literally, buy this, take it out of the box, plug it in, add my monitors and controllers, turn it on and get to work! Think about that. Take it out of the box and get to work! I felt like I was in church when he said that! I'm a composer/producer. I never had any aspiration of becoming an engineer. I was forced into that role. Having been placed in that position, I've studied my butt off trying to be a decent one, at great expense to my primary mission statement. This looks like a chance to "get off that merry-go-round." If the research pans out and I can find an "exit," I'm going to take it!

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

If this is your desire, then you may wish to also consider the RADAR Studio, which also runs ProTools, Harrosin Mixbus, Cubase, whatever....I've never used one of these particular machines, but the previous versions I have used were wonderful. I wish this was available a few years ago, would have saved me tons of cash and headaches.

http://www.izcorp.com/products/radar/
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    If this is your desire, then you may wish to also consider the RADAR Studio, which also runs ProTools, Harrosin Mixbus, Cubase, whatever....I've never used one of these particular machines, but the previous versions I have used were wonderful. I wish this was available a few years ago, would have saved me tons of cash and headaches.

http://www.izcorp.com/products/radar/
    Err, uhh that's exactly what QNote and I are discussing, The RADAR Studio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-EG5uezw0

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

yes...I know. It was another show of supporting hands. I'll keep out now.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

RADAR has had a long history of satisfied and supportive engineers, I just don't hear much about them anymore. The people I know still using them only use them for the converters. With that said, I know I couldn't justify a $20K recorder...not for what I do (as I say that, I'm quickly realizing I currently have a LOT of money invested in my current computer system!). But, if you don't have a huge problem with the price tag and it will make your job easier and/or more enjoyable, I'd say go for it. I would also agree that a current Apple computer is not as studio-friendly as they once were. But, regardless of your hardware choices, the more you have centered around your DAW, the more frustration you are likely to have, and the more time you will spend maintaining it. It's just the current trend.

My setup couldn't be more stable...

- Computer (Mac Pro 2008...You can get these used fairly reasonable and it is still a wonderful machine)
    - UAD card w/ plugins
    - Waves plugins
    - PT 9 & 12 / Logic 9 & X
    - AD/DA converter
    - External mic pres

If I had to by a new computer today, I don't see why I couldn't do well with a new Mac Pro or Mac-Mini. I would think it would be fairly straightforward and seamless, other than the UAD card (it would have to be exchanged for a Satellite if I wanted to keep using those plugs). I'd honestly look for another computer just like I have.
    Last edited by QNote; 05-26-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast