Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here ever work on a Tascam X-48 Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    yes...I know. It was another show of supporting hands. I'll keep out now.
    Dude, you don't have to drop out! I've always valued your opinion. I just thought you missed a post, that's all! I'd like very much to hear about your experiences with RADAR. Did the others playback more tracks than were originally recorded? I always THOUGHT they tracked and played back 24 or 48 tracks. But the new ones will record 24 tracks at a time and play back up to 384!! Was that something availabe back in versions 5 & 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    ...Did the others playback more tracks than were originally recorded?
    Can't speak for the RADAR's (I'm sure they were similar to these...), but the old Fostex D-160 was a 16-track recorder that also had 8 extra "ghost" tracks; sort of spare tracks, or takes, you could have within the project, but you could still only play back 16 at a time. The Mackie HDR/MDR recorders were 24-track, but had 8 "playlists" per track. Very handy, and you could comp those into your keeper! It would still only playback 24 at the time, though. Since all the audio was native WAV, you could always edit the audio in-between tracking and mixing, if you wanted to cheat.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Can't speak for the RADAR's (I'm sure they were similar to these...), but the old Fostex D-160 was a 16-track recorder that also had 8 extra "ghost" tracks; sort of spare tracks, or takes, you could have within the project, but you could still only play back 16 at a time. The Mackie HDR/MDR recorders were 24-track, but had 8 "playlists" per track. Very handy, and you could comp those into your keeper! It would still only playback 24 at the time, though. Since all the audio was native WAV, you could always edit the audio in-between tracking and mixing, if you wanted to cheat.
    Yeah, I know all about those. I still own VS-880/1680 units. Roland was the company that invented the "Virtual Track" concept. It was a great idea back in it's day. But once the DAWs came up with "Lanes," the V-tracks seemed clunky as hell! I had no idea that RADAR offered the same kind of thing. But once I found out that you could actually play back any and all of the tracks recorded (up to 384), I was ready to go. As for the $20K price, I'm learning that I can use a lot of the hardware and interfaces that I already own, which will drastically lower the entry level price! Still once I go over $5k for any single piece of gear, I study that thing to exhaustion BEFORE I buy it. 'Cause, sadly, it's a long time between spending and earning it all back these days, ya know?

I can only speak to the HD24XR's, which while they acted like a tape machine, were a profound disappointment overall. Editing sucked, integration with previous ADAT's sucked, transfer in and out of them sucked, basically they sucked. But they worked great! If you narrowed your definition. I'd rather do assembly editing on ADAT XT20's than try to guess if one of these had enough RAM to do a multitrack copy/paste procedure. Did everything transfer off the drives? Are you sure? Play it all back and listen very closely....they didn't always. Very glad to see it go and move fully into DAW world. It was a horrible intermediate stage for me. No problems in computer world here.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12