Thread: UPS advise

Default UPS advise

Looking for a UPS unit costing around the 3-4 hundred dollar range. I will need to run 2 lynx converters mac tower and 27" monitor and maybe a couple preamps at a time. Any suggestions… sign waves, joles, 15/30 amp service, quiet, ability to turn off buzzers and beppers during a session and… any other suggestions you would want to direct my purchase. A big thank you up front!

IN the Lancaster PA area we have a number of brown outs and electric storms during the summer, want to be prepaired this year.

Thanks for your help!
    -jim

Well....

A big (like mine) 1 kVA UPS will certainly allow you to sail through brownouts without issue. I know because when I moved out here about 8 years ago, there was construction everywhere and it would beep to indicate Low Voltage about 8-10 times a day, with never a problem. On the few occasions when the power would go completely out, it allowed me 5-10 minutes to shut everything down. Not enough time to keep recording, but certainly enough time to SAVE everything and shut down peacefully and without fear of losing stuff. I had the bare minimum of gear on it, only what I would be concerned about when the power sagged. Computer, monitors (to enable seeing what I needed to do to save), external hard drive enclosures, etc. I didn't put speakers, preamps, or anything else that was not mission-critical on it. I started off (15 years ago) with everything running from it, but realized that was really unnecessary. Because a battery backup is NOT a generator. If you think you need to sail through power outages that might run more than 5-10 minutes, a battery backup probably is not what you need.

In terms of quiet operation, mine lets me know (with an audible beep) whenever there's a problem. I consider that a "feature" and it's nice to know when something's going on that I might otherwise not be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    Looking for a UPS unit costing around the 3-4 hundred dollar range. I will need to run 2 lynx converters mac tower and 27" monitor and maybe a couple preamps at a time. Any suggestions… sign waves, joles, 15/30 amp service, quiet, ability to turn off buzzers and beppers during a session and… any other suggestions you would want to direct my purchase. A big thank you up front!

IN the Lancaster PA area we have a number of brown outs and electric storms during the summer, want to be prepaired this year.

Thanks for your help!
    -jim
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

What Lynn said. In my situation (occasional video- and audio-related editing and mixing) I run a 20A Furman AR-20 II line conditioner (an earlier model of the current P-2400 AR) in my edit bay because we're at the very end of all our services (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) in our cul-de-sac. In the summer, "droopy" electrical is a fact of life, so a stable 120v with a warning if it drops (or rises) 10% or more is worth the $800 cost of the refurbed 20A from Northern Sound and Light. Before it entered the picture, I'd occasionally lose a power supply... since? No problems. I also run a AR-1215 in my main location PA/video control rack for mixers, video switcher, computers, DAW interface, and other "sensitive" gear. Since 1998. No problems.

The AR-20 runs to several APC UPS units, each tasked with gear within its kVA limits. These were acquired over the past 20 years or so, and most have had a battery replacement.

If you want to run silently, build an iso box for them. Just be sure you can see the warning lights (a window of some sort, since you won't hear the beepers) so as to be able to save and shut down everything attached gracefully.

Works for me!
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 06-09-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

What Harry said. I wouldn't want to be without the alerts. There were times when the power went down and I would not have known it except for the beeping. No joke.

For the record, and seemingly on cue, lightning just struck very close to my house. The LCD monitors blinked off for about 2 seconds, my printer started to cycle back up and everything on the computer was just as I left it. This was a long enough power outage that the clocks on the microwave and oven reset to 00:00. Just so you know.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

These are the specs for the ups i am about to order, will this do the job, please?

Plug/Connector Type: NEMA 5-15P

Receptacles: 8 x NEMA 5-15R

Serial Port: Yes

USB: Yes

Battery Characteristics: Maintenance-free, Sealed, Spill-proof

Battery Chemistry: Sealed Lead Acid

Backup/Run Time (Full Load): 6.10 Minute

Backup/Run Time (Half Load): 20.60 Minute

Maximum Battery Recharge Time: 3 Hour

Load Capacity (VA): 1 kVA

Load Capacity (Watt): 670 W

Input Voltage: 110 V AC

Output Voltage: 120 V AC

Height: 8.5"

Width: 6.7"

Depth: 17.3"

Form Factor: Tower

Weight (Approximate): 42 lb

Limited Warranty: 3 Year

Thanks Lynn and Harry!!! Peace of mind

If it's not true sine wave, I'd keep your preamps off of it, especially if they have traditional linear power supplies.. Just use it for your computer hardware and converters. I DO have my LCD monitors on it so I can see how to safely exit my session and back up anything quickly before I shut down. Works well.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    If it's not true sine wave, I'd keep your preamps off of it, especially if they have traditional linear power supplies.. Just use it for your computer hardware and converters. I DO have my LCD monitors on it so I can see how to safely exit my session and back up anything quickly before I shut down. Works well.

"Pure sine wave output while on battery" is listed in the specs so I guess then it would be preamp worthy?

Should be okay!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook