Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing locations, weather....

Default Changing locations, weather....

Hey Guys,
    My wife and I have been wanting to get outta Dodge (Southern California) for years now, but the weather here is what keeps us from just moving anywhere.
    My perfect weather would be in Carmel Ca or Cambria CA, but those areas are so dang pricey and wifey says she doesn't want to move to a more expensive area.
    I wouldn't mind living in a smaller place in a fantastic area, but don't think the wife feels the same, she's always saying "we could by a mansion in ______ for what we pay here".

The wife always says she Loves Nashville area that she goes to for work frequently, but I worry about the humidity in the summer.
    We both hate humidity and are not sure we could deal with that and mosquitos etc... And we could not deal with more than a tiny bit of snow on occasion.

Any advise on Nashville weather?
    Or some other place that's beautiful, reasonable and has great weather?
    We like lots of trees, not too hot or cold.
    Oh, and just so we keep with the theme of this board, what LDC mic would work well in that environment?

Thanks -jp
    I need more cowbell!

I have lived on the east coast my whole life, and have always hated the humidity during heat. You never get used to it if you don't like it. Our temperature extremes can be a little crazy too, but certainly not like living in the north.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Yeah, we have very little humidity in CA.
    The times we've been on vacay back east were awesome, except when it was hot and humid.
    I absolutely love Mass, but that winter would be way too much for us lifelong Californians.
    I need more cowbell!

Middle Tennessee is a pretty great place to live, for a lot of reasons. Humidity-free summers and "easy" winters are not two of them. We are in the collision zone of the Gulf stream coming in south-by-southwest, and the cold, high-pressure stuff coming off the Great Plains. That means, fairly frequent turbulent weather, days and days of humidity (when the front stalls as it slides north-by-east up the Appalachians) with a wee bit of snow and/or ice through December and January (usually). It falls, messily, screws up traffic for a couple of days, and is usually gone within a week.

I grew up in Ohio, but inherited genes from my Georgia mama, and never, ever, "enjoyed" the cold. I went south for Christmas at my earliest opportunity (ringing bells in DFW with the Salvation Army in college) and wound up finishing school in Waco, meeting my wife-to-be, wooing and wedding, to move back to Ohio (for a job), back to Texas, back again to Ohio and, then, following a layoff in the early '80s recession, to Nashville to live with her folks and establish a business. That was then... we're still here. I'd rather be hot than cold, and really dig the Nashville vibe, then and now. Nashville's the world's biggest small town, the music is fabulous... there's great beer brewed here, there's a church on every corner (and those two facts are not as incompatible as you might surmise), people are nice ("kind and generous" as opposed to "facetious and cold")... In short:

I'll never leave, Lord willing, and the Cumberland don't rise any further than it did in 2010.

Come along with her for a visit or three. Make up your own mind... but don't stay longer than about a week in a stretch, or you really won't want to leave. That's what happened to me.

HB

PS... first round's on me, whenever you get here.
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 06-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Thanks for the reply HB, I'll take you up on the first round if we ever get out there!
    -jp
    I need more cowbell!

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

If I were to move back to the USA, Nashville would be in my top 3 to consider for sure. I've done some travel all over North America and it's one of my favourite cites. Along with all the things Harry mentioned, the people and general culture there do indeed have a kind, warm, and generous vibe that is hard to find elsewhere for a city of that size.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Passing thru Nashville yesterday all I could notice was the humidity and abominable traffic. If you don't mind summers over 100 often look at Dallas/FtWorth.

Almost sounds like you are looking for a mid size Oklahoma, West Texas, or other high plains... not bitter cold (usually) dry, and inexpensive compared to metro life

We have plenty of humidity, mosquitoes, and lots of other goodies. Good music is scarce, though. Come on down!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Passing thru Nashville yesterday all I could notice was the humidity and abominable traffic. If you don't mind summers over 100 often look at Dallas/FtWorth.

Almost sounds like you are looking for a mid size Oklahoma, West Texas, or other high plains... not bitter cold (usually) dry, and inexpensive compared to metro life
    You know... yesterday was the final day of CMA Fest, one of the larger week-long events on the city's annual calendar. Not to mention the final day at the portable city of 80,000 just down the road at Bonnaroo... just sayin'.

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by john parry View Post
    We like lots of trees, not too hot or cold.
    I got nuthin that meets this criteria, but I'm curious whether anyone else's suggestions can hit that plus the "low humidity" requirement. I'm pretty much resigned to retiring to the high desert (no trees, and probably too hot by most normal folks' standards) or the Rockies above the treeline...mostly because I am all about the "low humidity" thing!

...oh, yeah, and the "affordable" thing too. Otherwise, Carmel CA does look nice, huh? :::wry smile emoticon:::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast