Thread: Amazing Sounds

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Default Amazing Sounds

For the first time in seemingly forever, I'm recording a paying client, very informally, again. Setting up completely in the house. Songwriter/guitarist doing mostly instrumentals, we've done several projects in the past. I'm in a spare room, and the artist is set up in the living room....keep reading.

Making a stupidly long and tedious story short, one of the things I thought I would be fighting - acoustics - is turning out to be one of the biggest assets. Our home is over 80 years old, all hardwood floors, lots of book cases, sparse padded furnishings. LOTS of wood furniture in the way of an upright piano, a Civil War era pump organ, etc...even though the mic selection is lowball and the pres are nothing but what's on the Fireface, I can't recall ever - EVER - getting a more natural and pure sounding straight to the speakers (also lowball --- sold all my good stuff couple years back in the 2d worst business move I've ever made)

Gist of the post: No matter how exquisite a collection of mics, pres, ADDA, etc, what matters is the room and the interaction of the player/instrument that really counts.

So there.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Ken, although my preference would be slightly different - 1. Player/instrument and 2. Room - I'm essentially with you.
    I've seen (too) many people that suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome (or G.A.S). It’s a dangerous affliction that can empty both your pockets and drain your creative mojo.
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

I am often reminded of our friend Todd Robbins favoring an SM57 through an API for acoustic guitar.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I'm really glad you're having fun recording again! Awesome!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    I am often reminded of our friend Todd Robbins favoring an SM57 through an API for acoustic guitar.
    I actually tried that technique. With less than stellar results.

Different strokes.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Everything matters. The extent to which it matters depends on the sum of the variables.

Your room is probably not as bad as you would think. The overall dimensions are probably good, you've got lots of dissimilar materials, random angles, and most importantly, it probably has a comfortable vibe.

Glad that you're actually doing something and getting great results. That's the most rewarding aspect of what we do.

Actually the room is perfect for this...no right angles, walls are a few degrees from beind parallel, etc...i was more stating about the lack of upper crust gear.

We rented then bought the house 21 yrs ago...I swear my original plan was then and may be again to build a new living area in the back and dedicate the old portion to just music...now to convince the wife