Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have any questions you'd like to ask me?

Default Anybody have any questions you'd like to ask me?

Several people have been after me for years to record (either audio or video) my thoughts on a variety of subjects. These are the kinds of conversations that I'd have with people when we sit and chat at conferences or trade shows or lunches.

So I'm thinking now might be a good time, before I forget everything.

If I do it, I'd like to put together a list of questions and topics that people are interested in. So if you had a chance to sit down with me and ask me anything, what would you ask? Ultimately I'm considering doing live interviews, with other people as well, but for now it would be easier (from a production standpoint) just to tape the replies.

So if you have any questions, shoot. Nothing's off limits.

And if you don't, that's fine too.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Boxers, briefs, or commando?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Every picture I've seen of you and your dad, you guys are smiling...even when adversity hits. How do you do it?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Boxers, briefs, or commando?
    Boxers. Anything else?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Boxers. Anything else?
    Keep reading
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Every picture I've seen of you and your dad, you guys are smiling...even when adversity hits. How do you do it?
    Now that question blindsided me, Ken. I was expecting questions about preamps or mics or something technical. But it's a good question. One that I had to ponder overnight since no one has ever asked me that before.

I could easily be cute and give the funny answer (cleverness is an easy shield to complete honesty) "It's easy. Just don't take pictures when you're mad or crying."

The truth is that no matter how bad things seem, it could always get worse. There's always a reason for hope. There's always something to look forward to. This is rooted in my faith as a Christian.

I'll never forget back in about 1990, sitting on the porch swing in front of my house, and thinking "What's the worst thing that could happen to me?" For most people, dying would be the answer to that question. But I have a hope for an eternal future in heaven and even dying is a pretty good option.

As I look back through photos of my life and then compare the realities of what was going on in my life to the dates on the photos, I do sometimes wonder myself "How did I keep on going?" There have been some major tragedies in my life over the past 16 years and it even amazes me how I've made it through. But there's more living yet to be done.
    More people to bless, more questions to answer, more flowers to grow, more sunrises to see, more meals to share with friends.
    The thought of those is what keeps me going. And keeps me smiling.

This picture of my father and me was taken on April 5, 2015. Easter Sunday morning, right after my mother passed away on Good Friday, just 48 hours earlier. It was a hard time. But my sisters were there and my nieces. We had the remainder of the family in the same place at the same time, for the first time in several years. That was reason enough to smile. My mother lived a good life. A long life. She was well-loved and loved others well.

Live without regrets. Give freely and often. Share what you have, no matter how little it is, because God will give you more.

And smile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dadandlynn2015.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	3823  
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Outstanding...

Now, for music. You've been pretty open about everything production wise, but I'm curious - how do/did you prepare yourself mentally for a session that is full of unknown variables such as performers, confidence in room, gear, etc? Followup: how do you deal with completely contrasting egos when it comes to production, mic placements, etc?

Sadly, I've only worked a handful of things in which people said "hey - you are the engineer, you decide." Almost everything else has been infested with insisting opinions, all gathered from the purple page, Circus magazine, or what they thought their 2d cousin who knows the guy who drove the truck for the fellow who owns the gear once used by someone's opening act said...

Check your PM
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. That is a great picture there. Great thoughts in your words. Keep it up.

I'm not sure what to ask that's answerable. I always ponder the difference of being somewhere like Nashville, and what that means for work life and experience versus being out in the stix with a less serious and informed clientele. I have projects I think are quite good, but they exist in a form of vacuum, which potentially brings something promisingly unexpected, outsider art if you wish to glamorize it. And what does the outside world look like from a music city? I have no idea.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

That post above about your dad and still smiling - pure gold.

I have loads of questions. But I think I'll start with this one:

It's been said that "you don't know what you don't know." What major things do you think most people 'don't know' about the recording process which hinders them from making a good recording? What are some blind spots you see from the less-experienced?
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

I hope it won't be annoying to answer these as videos. I think they might garner a wider audience that way.

At least I could get my thoughts down quickly and spontaneously. Then maybe I could compile them in writing.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast