Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have any questions you'd like to ask me?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Video might be a good plan…but won't that require shaving, a shower, and all that sort of stuff? Whatever is easier for you. If you are kind enough to open your world, the least we can do is be picky in how you present it. This ain't Facebook, ya know
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Video might be a good plan…but won't that require shaving, a shower, and all that sort of stuff? Whatever is easier for you. If you are kind enough to open your world, the least we can do is be picky in how you present it. This ain't Facebook, ya know
    Ha ha!!!

Knowing that our ears and brains are pretty adaptive to sounds and sound quality, how do you maintain your sonic perspective?

I was going to ask the question, "How do you know when it's "right?" and based on a comment from another thread, I think the answer to that question is "When I smile."

So what do you do when something isn't right? Have you ever found yourself in a position where you just can't make it "right?" How do you handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by James Greenlee View Post
    So what do you do when something isn't right? Have you ever found yourself in a position where you just can't make it "right?" How do you handle that?
    When it's not right? You work harder. Sometimes lots harder. And that's when 30+ years of experience comes in handy. It gives you a big ol' bag of tricks to draw from. More later.

Good questions. Keep 'em coming.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post

Good questions. Keep 'em coming.
    If you were building your own home studio and you had nothing other than an old 16 channel Mackie board and a few 57's, and had a budget of $35,000.00 for gear (not including cables, instruments, furniture or sonic treatments), what exactly would you buy today?

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

I can just do it after my weekly shower, Ken. No big imposition. Might even use clean clothes. But it's not in smell-o-vision so who'd know?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shillito View Post
    If you were building your own home studio and you had nothing other than an old 16 channel Mackie board and a few 57's, and had a budget of $35,000.00 for gear (not including cables, instruments, furniture or sonic treatments), what exactly would you buy today?
    That's an ESSAY question!! What do you think this is--College? I do better with multiple choice. Plus that answer could run into pages and pages for the answer.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

That's an ESSAY question!! What do you think this is--College? I do better with multiple choice. Plus that answer could run into pages and pages for the answer.
    So if you have any questions, shoot. Nothing's off limits.
    Well you better start writing pal, this needs to be in by Monday NOON!

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Who added the "AT"?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

But...and I think this is important.... it is what the industry is faced with. As the days of multi-thousand unit sales per week are gone with those that remain limited to almost exclusive DI or virtual methods, the choices for a good sounding shop are suddenly in an odd position. How many killer mics and how much design into the tracking environment need to be implemented in a home shop that pumps out MAYBE two acoustically generated tracks out of 400 total?

In other words, desert island kind of stuff, without the luxuries of exquisite rooms, cartage, superlative talent on which to use it, etc...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

But...and I think this is important.... it is what the industry is faced with. As the days of multi-thousand unit sales per week are gone with those that remain limited to almost exclusive DI or virtual methods, the choices for a good sounding shop are suddenly in an odd position. How many killer mics and how much design into the tracking environment need to be implemented in a home shop that pumps out MAYBE two acoustically generated tracks out of 400 total?

In other words, desert island kind of stuff, without the luxuries of exquisite rooms, cartage, superlative talent on which to use it, etc...
    Thanks Ken, I was aware of the "cheek" in my question and I will admit that I never would have asked this had the offer of "ask anything" not presented itself, but if I was only allowed one question then this one would be it.

Lynn, while an insight into your thought patterns as to what items you would buy and which areas you concentrate the most resources would be a bonus, what I am really asking for is just a list. When I was setting up my last upgrade a very notable member here was kind enough to allow me to ask his impressions regarding gear that I had been considering, and his direction helped immensely in my decision making process, however I would never of considered asking him for such a list without paying for his airfare and time to come and help set me up. If this question would just expose too many proprietary facets I certainly would understand you passing on it...

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Who added the "AT"?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast