Thread: Impulse Response or live amp? A comparison.

Default Impulse Response or live amp? A comparison.

In trying out a bunch of SM57's for guitar amp micing, I initially started making impulses of each mic on the cabinet/speaker in a precise manner. After working with this for awhile, the thought occurred to me, "Well...How close is the impulse to an actual recording of a live amp?"

I had setup a demo project to try out the various impulse responses of the 57's by recording a couple of guitar takes from Eleven Rack with the cab emulation bypassed. I ran that "amp" signal through the Impulse capture rig and recorded the results for comparison.

The Impulse capture setup is DAW to Little Labs Redeye3D to VHT 2/50/2 power amp and Mesa 4x12. In both of these samples you hear the amp emulation of Eleven Rack, where one sample is "live" through the VHT and Mesa cab, and the other is the Impulse Response of the same setup. The guitars are just as they were recorded...No EQ/Compression.

Sample 1

Sample 2

For import into a DAW, these samples were recorded at 108 BPM, 24/96. It's 8 bars in length and loops well.

What do you think? Can you tell which is which?
    Last edited by James Greenlee; 06-25-2015 at 11:59 PM.

I'll bite.

The file labeled Live-02 sounds more lively to me. Better tone, more aggressive, and the bottom end really speaks. Live-01 is OK but by comparison is really just OK, just barely. I could probably use either in a mix, but I'd have to work to make 01 sound like 02.

In summary, 02 makes me smile. That's what it's all about.

Me, smiling.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Thanks for playing along Lynn. I have to say that I didn't really think there was that large of a difference between the two samples, but then that's why you do what you do.

No particular care was put into the micing (just my usual starting place), and I don't think that's really the "best" of the 57's so far. With this I really wanted to see if my testing methodology for the 57's was at least sound. I was somewhat surprised when I first tried Live vs IR, that the IR's were really different. They weren't necessarily different from a "dynamics" perspective, but more from a "spectrum" one. I was initially creating the IR's with the sine-sweep method. Changing to using pink-noise as the signal source resulted in an IR that seemed "truer" to the live source and that's the method used in the above examples. Based on your input, what I hear as "pretty darn close" is still miles apart though.

Here's a comparison of the two different Impulse response methods (sine sweep and pink noise) in no particular order.

Out of curiosity, which would you prefer?

IR Method 1

IR Method 2

Doesn't look like we're going to get any more players...So the first set of samples...The first clip is the "live amp" and the second one is the "impulse response." I thought it was interesting that Lynn preferred the IR.

The second set of samples is between a sine-sweep or pink noise for creating the impulse responses. The first file (method 1) is pink noise, and the second is the sine sweep.