Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustration

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

Keep that letter (or email.)

I have a dollar that says you'll need it some day. Probably the day after you dispose of the drives.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

I will soon start jettisoning ADAT tapes of bands I recorded 20ish years ago, those who have disappeared entirely with no traceable members or legacy. Undoubtably some will surface the next day, or become famous within the year. I think they fully qualify as 'abandoned property' in the eyes of the law. I could be wrong.

I made a studio playlist the other day solely from work I've done which exists on Spotify. There's some really unexplainable stuff that's out there today, which I recorded over 15 years ago and barely saw a release back then, to NO notice or acclaim. Yet there it is available for streaming. Lots of other more recent work that received national press, which has already fallen in the black hole.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Baldwin View Post
    I have a dollar that says you'll need it some day. Probably the day after you dispose of the drives.
    I ALWAYS need it after I throw it away. Always. Most recently, it was a stock of VCR drive belts I had from days gone by. Certainly I would never need those. Then, I needed to retrieve some songs from a DAT tape for a client. And, yep...a loading error on the DAT deck. Bad belt. Ughh.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

When I divorced in 2005, I had cases and cases of ADAT tapes (6 tapes-ABCDEF-for 48 tracks, plus backups, x 2 for adequate running time, so 24 SVHS tapes per project) that had been transferred to ProTools for mixing. I contacted the owners and none of them wanted them, so probably 200+ ADAT masters went into the dumpster. Wow. If they didn't want to keep them, why should I?

Also, I'll keep that letter saying they don't want those drives, but they're 200G OWC drives that will readily and gladly be repurposed.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    I ALWAYS need it after I throw it away. Always. Most recently, it was a stock of VCR drive belts I had from days gone by. Certainly I would never need those. Then, I needed to retrieve some songs from a DAT tape for a client. And, yep...a loading error on the DAT deck. Bad belt. Ughh.
    I threw away night light bulbs just the other day. Haven't needed one in years. Then I plugged in a lamp in my daughter's room. No light. Bad bulb. It was a night light bulb. That's the way it goes. Don't need it for 20 years. Want to need it again soon? Toss it.

Happens every time.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

That's the law - you can (and I have) kept things for decades, just in case you need them. As soon as you decide you don't anymore, and toss em, you not only need them but it is life and death to someone - usually you - to have what just left in the dumpster truck in a million pieces.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12