Thread: My own "Chapter NEXT"....about to be written

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

Default My own "Chapter NEXT"....about to be written

First thing this morning I was greeted with the news that I was being laid off. No big surprise, really. Business for a small scale CD duplicator isn't what it used to be.

As I reflected on the past 14 years, I was reminded of my first experience with 3dB... back in 1999. I had just been laid off from a CD replication facility and had no clue where to turn as someone 4 years out of recording school, with only a small amount of useful experience. Living in Utah at the time didn't help much. So, I decided to post to the Yellow Board. It was poorly worded as I recall, something to the effect of "Anyone know where I can find an audio job?"

As you can imagine, most of the responses were less than helpful (to put it politely). It would be at least another 5 years before I would speak up here again, under a different login (I forgot the old one).

I'm glad I stuck around though. You people have been a ton of help over the years. In a couple of cases, you've even made me look smart. (No mean feat).

Thanks for everything. Now, onward and hopefully upward. Let's see what the future holds.

Oh, and, does anyone know... nevermind. I'll hit Google.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Sorry to hear about that, Troy. I'm sure several aspects of the audio business are changing rapidly. Hopefully you will transition into bigger and better things.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Thanks. I had a feeling back in January that this would be an interesting year. Just wasn't sure of the details.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

So where are you with this? Did you flip out? Have you gone into a drunken stupor (or come down from the one you've been on since I've known you)? Did you get back into the adult video production business? What?

Do NOT keep us in suspense, Troy.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Oh, Ken, you always ask the hard-hitting questions. I haven't flipped out. That takes too much energy. I've quit drinking for good. (Now I drink for evil). I've received no response from the head shots I've sent to the adult video companies. I think I intimidate them.

In other news...there is no news. I just keep plugging away, wondering if I am going to have to drag my wife cross country to find a job (which would suck because she JUST found a good one herself).
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Love the unintended (or intended?) pun...plugging away?

Keep the faith. Times change, and will continue to change. If your lovely bride has a good gig, then so be it. Kept us going here in the same situation for a long time (my bride, not yours). Doing this music/audio stuff part time ain't a bad road to hoe.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

That's horrible to hear Troy.

The industry is slowing down so drastically that I truly do fear for many the fine folks here.

I appreciate the authority and insight you bring to so many of the dialogues here. I pray that you find a quick and favorable outcome to your dilemma, I've been in the nasty predicament of being laid off before, and I absolutely hated the prospect of having to rely on any form of government assistance while searching for jobs. I am sure you. like many of us, would much rather be actively busy with work.

Best wishes to you.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    That's horrible to hear Troy.

The industry is slowing down so drastically that I truly do fear for many the fine folks here.

I appreciate the authority and insight you bring to so many of the dialogues here. I pray that you find a quick and favorable outcome to your dilemma, I've been in the nasty predicament of being laid off before, and I absolutely hated the prospect of having to rely on any form of government assistance while searching for jobs. I am sure you. like many of us, would much rather be actively busy with work.

Best wishes to you.
    Thanks. It'll work out one way or another. After all, I do have a 100% success rate in surviving crappy days.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com