Thread: Is there something going on in the plug in industry?...

Default Is there something going on in the plug in industry?...

.. I mean, I've seen some major SALES going on with WAVES, UAD, etc....

And just saw a video that SLATE is offering a yearly subscription to ALL they have to offer.

Is this the new business model?

And there just seems to be SO MANY emulated, Vintage plug-ins.
    I keep thinking technology is getting so good that even the FREE stuff that you can get online has to be pretty good.

So, what's the deal with all the sales and what's your opinions on some good free plugins?

Just curious,

Zucco

Everything, good or bad, comes back around in style. One day, plugin manufacturers will starting making actual hardware boxes that really do what the plugins attempt to!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Well I think it has to do with the general malaise in the economy and in particular the ruin on the musical industry by Google and their Silicon Valley ilk. The info is all out there and the cultural industries are reeling from being used as content for devices and internet ad sales and ISP bandwidth. If there's no money in sales and gigs then there's way less money for gear and plugins. Take care, Logan

Quote Originally Posted by Zucco View Post
    .. I mean, I've seen some major SALES going on with WAVES, UAD, etc....

And just saw a video that SLATE is offering a yearly subscription to ALL they have to offer.

Is this the new business model?

And there just seems to be SO MANY emulated, Vintage plug-ins.
    I keep thinking technology is getting so good that even the FREE stuff that you can get online has to be pretty good.

So, what's the deal with all the sales and what's your opinions on some good free plugins?

Just curious,

Zucco

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

That might be a tad dramatic...it could well be there really just is nothing new under the sun at the moment, and no one is really excited about anything (plug in wise). That's my case anyway - I've pretty much decided what I want for what, and have already bought it or plan to in the foreseeable future.

One thing standing in the way is the sheer stupidity of the host systems...everytime I bat an eye, the Windows or OS goes thru a massive upgrade, rendering everything previous inoperative, including the DAW that plugs are supposed to run on. I'm just NOT playing that anymore, every again. My DAW is PT 10 native, Mountain Lion, and its likely to stay that way until the system rots.

Any plugs I choose to get, hardware, whatever, will need to run on this, or it will just not be purchased. Enough is enough
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    That might be a tad dramatic...it could well be there really just is nothing new under the sun at the moment, and no one is really excited about anything (plug in wise). That's my case anyway - I've pretty much decided what I want for what, and have already bought it or plan to in the foreseeable future.

One thing standing in the way is the sheer stupidity of the host systems...everytime I bat an eye, the Windows or OS goes thru a massive upgrade, rendering everything previous inoperative, including the DAW that plugs are supposed to run on. I'm just NOT playing that anymore, every again. My DAW is PT 10 native, Mountain Lion, and its likely to stay that way until the system rots.

Any plugs I choose to get, hardware, whatever, will need to run on this, or it will just not be purchased. Enough is enough
    While I am an admitted amateur user, I find also that the plug ins I have with Logic/Waves/N.I./iZotope cover any needs I have had, I must admit that when it comes to digital samples and synths the new offerings have been nothing short of spectacular. I had the Spectrasonics Omni 1 and just bought the upgrade to 2, I can get lost for hours upon hours scrolling through the presets alone without tiring, if one wishes to tweak them the results are limitless and very satisfying. The soundscapes are nothing short of mind boggling!

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

I haven't been playing too much attention to the plug-in market as I do very little studio work now. But there are a few new Waves products like the Cobalt and Vitamin plugs that do some things that are a little bit different that previously seen. Of course such special effects have limited uses, but it's always nice to have something different in the tool box for that moment when you need something a little odd.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

And not to take the discussion in too much of a different direction, but plug-ins for live sound rigs is a big market now. I'm seeing a lot of live guys using a whole swath of plugs on their digital PA rigs.

As for me, I still rock the analog board for live as much as I can. I have no problem being out of date. To my ears, I still think it sounds better. And I get things done faster than all those guys dinking around with all their dig-toys.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Which baffles me...how on earth can one get a foldback mix when there are all these plugs creating latency?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

End of fiscal year is fast approaching, for one thing. Plus labor day sales.