A lot of us project studio owners look at many of the high end gear out there (we have some of course in our studio) and almost dream...how nice it would be to have this and that in our studio.

I met one person who had amazing high end gear in his studio, but a couple years later, sold a lot of it. He reasoning was with plug ins, you sit in your sweet spot between your monitors and make adjustments. This is the best way to mix in your studio, and I tend to agree with him. With many hardware gear in studios, your bending down to your left, to your right or behind you and then make adjustments. It is a bad way to determine if the adjustments your making are good ones. That was his main reason for selling a lot of his gear. The other reason was the plug in recall capability.

Granted mastering studios usually have all their gear up front and next to them, but many recording studios have them in racks all over the studio. Granted you could have another person move a knob for you, but if your like me, you want to control what your hearing and how to adjust the knobs.

For those who have worked in pro studios, do you agree with this assesement or have your found a work around these issues?