Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay fraud alert

eBay fraud alert

Take a look at this page that was sent to me under the guise of eBay needing to update my records. It's shocking how completely authentic it looks. The most suspicious thing about it is that it asks for everything but a blood sample.
    With all that information, someone could assume your identity and completely bankrupt you. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

http://www.ebay.com@www.aol-accounts.org/eBay/

The odd thing is that I rarely spend time on eBay but have spent a great deal of time there in the past week. How did they know that?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I have received that "form" 3 times now. It is spammed so the timing is a coincidence. What did you buy on eBay? I have got 2 very good deals on audiophile gear in the last 2 weeks. (I have 5 stereos to support at home!)

Stephen V
    Namaste
    Stephen Vardy
    Harpsound Audio

Wow, look at that, they are trying to get *all* your personal information in one shot. I've had numerous fake emails from eBay, PayPal, and even my bank, but never together on the same page.

The unfortunate thing is, there will be some people who buy into it and send their personal info.

Originally posted by Albert:
    <STRONG>Wow, look at that, they are trying to get *all* your personal information in one shot. I've had numerous fake emails from eBay, PayPal, and even my bank, but never together on the same page.

The unfortunate thing is, there will be some people who buy into it and send their personal info.</STRONG>
    Yea sure. Why ruin only part of someone's life with a credit card when you can take their SS, credit cards, bank info, mother's maiden name and all?

I looked all over Ebay's site to find a contact link to let someone know, but came up blank. It's a crime that people can get away with this. They're trolling to ruin someone's entire life. And you're right, they'll find someone that bites. I am pretty i-savvy and even I had to look twice to find the flaw in the URL (@www.aol-...).

BTW, I was buying camera gear. Nothing exciting and audio. Though it's a very nice DV camera and you likely will see the fruits of that purchase in the near future.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I ignore all communications from ebay,paypal, etc, until they show up when I log into those sites. If something looks legit, I log into the site, find a 'contact' page, and ask.

I got a really legit looking offer to one of the tax softwares a few days ago. But the adress looked phoney. So I contacted the company. Turned otu to e legit.

One of the things that I am going to miss about the Compuserve account and the text-only aspects of OzWin.... they show full information about the senders. My ProRec account doesn't do this.

Bill

When I received my first ID spoof, I emailed eBay at their "abuse" link with the contents of the spoof. I got a corporate "form" email in response. They know about it but are not very public about their actions to stop the abuse.
    S

[ October 01, 2003: Message edited by: Stephen Vardy ]
    Namaste
    Stephen Vardy
    Harpsound Audio

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>BTW, I was buying camera gear. Nothing exciting and audio. Though it's a very nice DV camera and you likely will see the fruits of that purchase in the near future.</STRONG>
    I should rephrase that. The eBay stuff was batteries and filters. The camera is exciting.

Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    I smell a documentary....

Is that a GL1-1 or GL-2 you bought? The GL-1 is a very nice camera I have had the pleasure of using quite a bit.

Digital photography/filmography is a side hobby of mine...You have tried Final Cut Pro right? After working with FCP extensively over the summer, I must say it is absolutely amazing what you can do with it.
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
    <STRONG>I smell a documentary....

Is that a GL1-1 or GL-2 you bought? The GL-1 is a very nice camera I have had the pleasure of using quite a bit.

Digital photography/filmography is a side hobby of mine...You have tried Final Cut Pro right? After working with FCP extensively over the summer, I must say it is absolutely amazing what you can do with it.</STRONG>
    Kevin,

We should talk. It's a GL2. I'll be using it quite a bit in NY.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Oh oh. A new Forum section? Final Cut Pro users? BTW, I can easily "see" the difference between VHS and digital tape, no need to do any comparison tests for this Lynn. And the "analog" plug-ins (grain, dirt, etc) do work quite well in THIS mediuum!

When you are through with your project also take a look at DVD Pro 2, it is a major jump from 1.5.

And a tip. Get someone with After Effects to "lock" your video to 24fps using a nested comp. An industry technique to get that "film" look from video, even if the playback medium is 29fps.
    Chris R. Gibson AKA Loopy C
    www.micworks.com
    Ken Tamplin Mastering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast