Thread: Advice...Alternate Vocal Mic?

Advice...Alternate Vocal Mic?

OK, I have a lowly mic collection, a whole two mics for my home studio.

I record vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, and once in awhile a sax player might come over....not often.

I have an SM57 and the AT4047. Would a new 414 be a smart alternate for vocals, etc, or what else would be the next logical mic to add?

This is going to an 002 using the TG Channel.

Thanks
    TH

Tom, I think the SM7b is an outstanding mic, just flat easy to use on vocals especially. You can get them new for a little over $300, maybe try that one?

The 414 is likely a good choice too, though.

Steve

ozraves is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    I'd suggest looking at a pair of Avenson STO-2 small condensers or an AEA R84 ribbon mic.

The AEA R84 gives arguably the best sax sound on the planet. You might check out the AEA R92 which is voiced a little different.

Although I've not tried them on vox....I'd vote for the STO-2's.They will serve you well on tons of apps. OH,guitars,mando,perc,and people get a kick out of how they look.Rodney Crowell just gave them a big thumbs up and wanted to know if I was checking his temp or mic'ing his guitar.
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

OCEANSTRACK I have those mics exactly, and for me, that I'm a newbie in this with no pro views, are fine and enough...
    Livin' madrid

Hey... I was always the one yapping about those Avensons... I finally decide to give it a break and now everyone is on them
    :p

But no doubt a great choice, very useful microphones. And I've used them on vocals many times, a really pure, easy sound.

But the topic was ...vocal mic... so I think I still prefer SM7 for that. Although it needs quite a bit of gain.

Steve

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    I'd like to throw a curveball here, and suggest the Shure Beta87...sounds at least very good on nearly everything, sounds perfect on some things...

Ditto on the SM7...or if you can find them, the old EV RE15/16...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Ken,
    I've used the Beta87a for years in our live setups, great mics for sure. I love the power and dynamics when on stage.

I used them for recording a little in my old systems that didn't match up too well with them. Haven't tried them for recording in my new preamp/DAW configuration, I'll have to check that again, thanks for reminding me.

Steve

Originally posted by oceantracks:
    <STRONG>OK, I have a lowly mic collection, a whole two mics for my home studio.

I record vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, and once in awhile a sax player might come over....not often.

I have an SM57 and the AT4047. Would a new 414 be a smart alternate for vocals, etc, or what else would be the next logical mic to add?

This is going to an 002 using the TG Channel.

Thanks
    TH</STRONG>
    Being a bottom feeder also, I have to spend wisely (most bang for the buck).

I prefer the EV RE-20 over the SM7b. And check out the Beyer M260.80 ribbon for vocals. Get a used Beyer M500 if you can find one (Ebay). Great vocal mike and eats a sax up. So does the RE-20 and hardly any proximity effect at all.

AKG 535EB is a SD vocal and other duties. One of the most undervalued mics in the business. Sounds better than 95% of the AKG's to me and it's hyper-cardiod.

Listen before you buy.
    Wayne Butler
    Studios at Pike Road