Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ethan Winerís Mini-Traps?

Thoughts on Ethan Winerís Mini-Traps?

Iím recording and mixing in a small 11 Ĺ Ď by 10í room that is not acoustically treated. Iíve been considering Ethanís Mini-traps for some time now.

Have any of you had experience with Ethanís bass traps? Do you have any thoughts on the effectiveness of these in a small room?

If by some chance youíre not familiar, here is a link to Ethan's products.

He is an excellent writer and his website provides a wealth of information on studio acoustics and similar topics. http://www.ethanwiner.com/

Thanks!

[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: Cap'n Spanky ]
    Tim Wells

[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: Cap'n Spanky ]
    Tim Wells

My room is about 12X13. I bought four of his mini-traps. I put them on some mic stands so I can use them in my live room and mix room. Haven't used them in my mix room yet, but I liked the difference it made in my live room (which had no treatment). I placed them in the four corners. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how they compare to other treatment methods.

...OH and I do plan on getting four more when I can afford it!

Originally posted by TomM:
    <STRONG>My room is about 12X13. I bought four of his mini-traps. I put them on some mic stands so I can use them in my live room and mix room. Haven't used them in my mix room yet, but I liked the difference it made in my live room (which had no treatment). I placed them in the four corners. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how they compare to other treatment methods.</STRONG>
    Thanks, Tom. From comments I've read, people really seem to notice a difference.
    Tim Wells

Unlike foam, Ethan's traps actually work on low frequencies -- usually your biggest problem in a small room.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

My little editing room is about the same size as yours, but with a lot of shelving and a shallow peaked roof. I have two of the Minis up in the cieling where the cieling meets the end walls. The traps definitely helped focus the sound in here and make the mixes translate better. I'd use more (Ethan though I needed 4) if I had room. They are the only thing I've tried that has audibly helped this dinky room. I got some help from some LENRD style foam wedges, but the help was in the form of drying out some reflections, not w/ the bass response.

Philip Perkins

Jim and Phillip,

Thanks. I really appreciate your input!
    Tim Wells

I'm curious about the MiniTraps as well. I have some real low frequency issues in my room and I am always fighting to get things to translate well in the lows. My control room is quite small (8.5x10, that's feet, not meters :-) I think I have a great big node in the sweetspot because the bass will sound fine in the mix position, but my mixes turn out with too much bass and real funky around 200Hz. I've considered building something similar if their design was easily duplicatible. They cost a pretty penny! Others with experience using these, more input would be appreciated.

[ April 29, 2004: Message edited by: OldDog ]

Originally posted by OldDog:
    <STRONG>... I have some real low frequency issues in my room and I am always fighting to get things to translate well in the lows. .... I think I have a great big node in the sweetspot because the bass will sound fine in the mix position, but my mixes turn out with too much bass and real funky around 200Hz. </STRONG>
    Me too. My mixes sound too bassy.
    Tim Wells

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast