Thread: 4033 and GR ME1NV?

4033 and GR ME1NV?

This is kind of in connection with my "best cheap mic" thread....how would this combination be?

Given this:

1 I tend NOT to like dark mics, such the M147.

2 My ideal mic is a Elux 251.

3 I like "airy" top end, and unlike some folks, I like proximity effect such as on an 87 when you close in on it.

So I'm looking for a U99 style, "airy" mic that isn't harsh, and is fairly cheap. Signs tend to point to the 4033, although some call it harsh. This is for vocals only, usually female.

Thanks!

Tom

I'm going to be trying out some $1000-$2000 mics in the near future, just to see what's out there and how they compare sonically to the $4-5K mics I frequently use. Give me a few months.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I love my 4033's, but I'm not particularly fond of them as vocal mics.
    I've not heard the U99, but I have a U195 which I like a lot for vocals with the MP-2NV. It definitely has a sheen to it, but it's seems smoother in the highs, mids and lows to me than the other mics I have.

1 I tend NOT to like dark mics, such the M147.

2 My ideal mic is a Elux 251.

3 I like "airy" top end, and unlike some folks, I like proximity effect such as on an 87 when you close in on it.

So I'm looking for a U99 style, "airy" mic that isn't harsh, and is fairly cheap. Signs tend to point to the 4033, although some call it harsh. This is for vocals only, usually female.
    Tom, the ADK A-48 is a very nice "airy" mic for female vocals. On the altos/sopranos I've recorded, I've compared it to many other mics (including the 4033a many times, and also several way more expensive), and it has almost always won. It doesn't have a big proximity effect, very smooth in the bass, but it has a really nice low- and upper-midrange. It's not too expensive.

Steve