Thread: protability of files between PT and other platforms

protability of files between PT and other platforms

I'm sure that this question has been answered before but I couldn't find the answer. So. Is there any way to import say a Samplitude project into PT or vice versa? I have Samplitude and am not going to change because I've been using it for years and am pretty comfortable with it. However, I need to track at other studios and very few people have Samp. PT is the overwhelming choice for most places and most customers think it is the only daw. So, can I move a project that is tracked in PT to another platform?
    VIP Member

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Basically, yes it is easy. But in reality, you cannot use a lot of stuff that you are used to using. (This is particu;arly a problem with Samp/Sequoia, moreso than with many of the other DAW apps.) You have to render the tracks to wave files or BWF files (broadcast wave format) and each file has to start at the same place. So if you have an object that starts 5 minutes into the piece, it still has to be rendered as a file that starts at the very begining.

You should chdeck on the 32 bit issue. I don't know about that one. I render files as 24 bit for transport, which will work in most any DAW application.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks for the info! I,m going to try it today and see how it goes.
    VIP Member

Can Samp make an OMF export? If so, then that is the way most projects get taken into or exported from PT. DP and Nuendo (and many others) can now do this pretty well. However, you'll still have to figure out all your plugins again on the new platform.

Philip Perkins

Go to sampletude's web site There is a link there for a program called EDL convert 4 a company called Cuib - Bono I think, Anyway I used this program to convert an OMF into SAMPLETUDE They say they can convert projects from PT5, Sadie, AES(31?)etc. and SAMPLETUDE It costs $250 but if you use it a lot it would be worth it. Try the demo and report your findings. -Best -Collin

I tried the demo and it seems to work. I transfered an 8track Jazz project from Samp. to Protools. Seems to work great. However, these were raw tracks with no automation fades etc. Next, I'm going to tray the other direction. Then add some pans, automation and whatever. But right off it seems to work pretty well. It costs 250.00 for the release version. But i'm sure some dealer should discount this.
    VIP Member

If you find a discounted version let me know. Best-Collin