Thread: MIC PRES

MIC PRES

HI ALL
    i am in the process of upgrading my project studio thinking of buying some mic pres
    GML AVALON /AD2022/API 3124 OR 512C/ UA/MANLEY ETC
    any and all informed opinions will be appreciated
    thanks

A little more information would be helpful. What kind of music do you record primarily? What's your budget?

If you are thinking about the UA 2-610 read and search as many posts as you can. Very mixed emotions about it. Either people love it or hate it. I sold it. I love the UA 2108. Reasonable priced for two channels, around $1300. Very punchy sounding. I like em on drums, electric guitar, keyboards.

Although I'm not a owner (yet!), I don't think you will find anything negative about the Great River MP2-NV (or the single channel version). That's my next preamp(s).

It seems much of the other preamps have mixed opinions.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

[iam not an owner yet]
    i hope you will be one soon
    i am going for quality so if it is worth the money i will spend it

Originally posted by CYBERTRADER:
    <STRONG>HI ALL
    i am in the process of upgrading my project studio thinking of buying some mic pres
    GML AVALON /AD2022/API 3124 OR 512C/ UA/MANLEY ETC
    any and all informed opinions will be appreciated
    thanks</STRONG>
    Been there, done that, have a T-shirt from 3 of the 5 mentioned and frankly, with the exception of the UA crap, you can't go too far wrong [and if you're looking for a "specialty", one trick pony... the UA is useful too].
    Fletcher
    Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
    Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

Originally posted by Fletcher:
    <STRONG>

Been there, done that, have a T-shirt from 3 of the 5 mentioned and frankly, with the exception of the UA crap, you can't go too far wrong [and if you're looking for a "specialty", one trick pony... the UA is useful too].</STRONG>

Well, I don't think the UA "crap" is bad at all, the 610 with a U99 on a female I recorded was heavenly. As you are fond of saying....YMMV, and apparently does...

TH

I can't understand why so many people seem to hate the UA stuff. It seems that either you love it or you hate it, but I get the feeling that a lot of the bad things you read about it is written by people who just want to be "hip". Not liking UA is the right thing to think it seems

We have an ISA110, AMEK9098, UA2-610, UA2108 and a Vintech 1272 at our studio. I don't think it's a good thing to search for that ONE preamp that you're going to use for everything since every preamp performs differently in different situations with different mics and sources. I love the ISA110 on certain kinds of vocals and acoustic stuff, but in a recent session it turned out to be the worst choice for a particular sound. On the album I'm working on right now, the UA 610 got to be my main choice for the particular electric and acoustic guitar sound we had to work with.

When comparing the 2-610 to the other preamps, what I really enjoy is it's supertight low end that none of the other preamps seem to deliver, and also the great detail in the high end while keeping the sound together in a very musical manner. I've never had a problem with headroom... you got a 15db PAD and also a gain swith that goes to -10. In my opinion it's the most "3D" sounding preamp here.