Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Posting audio files-preferred format?

Posting audio files-preferred format?

I have posted mp3s several times (the R84 samples, and other such things) but am always disappointed with the sound of them. But given the bandwidth of full range CD quality audio, sometimes its the best I can do. I know there are still people with dial up connections and it would take them forever to download huge files.

So, if I was to post samples in the future that would be meaningful, would you rather see 16/44.1 files that would be 5-10M or would 384K mp3s be OK? I'm just curious, trying to find the balance between speed and fidelity, between usable and accessible or just huge and unaccessible.

Your thoughts?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Lynn:

MP3s work fine for most purposes and at 384K is more than adequate for most comparisons and judgements. It's sort of like turning on the radio, you expect a certain sound and your ears know how to filter out the junk. I think it's the same with the internet and MP3s.

If you're curious about working at CD quality and want to reduce file sizes, Apple just released a 2:1 Lossless Compression that decompresses in realtime in iTunes 4.5. Since iTunes is now available for Mac and PC, this new format wouldn't exclude anyone here. Just a thought if you want to post stuff at CD quality.

I just want the differences to not be veiled but at the same time, I don't want to alienate anyone on a dialup or who is paying per minute for transfers.

I'll experiment with some 384K files.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Sure. You want as true a picture as possible and yet, depending on the purpose, you may even consider 192K or 256K MP3s. They are fairly transparent and are still smaller than the 384K, which may be defeating the point of converting them to MP3s. At that size, the MP3 sound is still there but the size is so large you haven't gained much by compressing them. If you're really concerned about file size you should consider a smaller size. What exactly is the file size ratio at 384K? 3:1?

I didn't know about that new Apple compression, thanks. But since I Tunes is probably not free for PC users, and many PC users are not Mac fans, I agree with Lynn. Requiring I Tunes will alienate people.

The band Phish has both mp3 and FLAC files available on their Live Downloads site. FLAC and SHN are free at least, and they work on both Mac and PC.

Quite some time ago I posted that we should at least switch up to mp4/AAC from mp3. Some PC users, however, did not feel that they should even take the time to download an appropriate player, etc...

I kind of think that these people who are too lazy or proud or snobbish to download something should be left in the dust. Why should those who are willing to pursue higher quality be held back because of these stubborn PC users. I use a PC as well as a Mac now, so I'm not ripping on all PC users, just some!

Originally posted by OldDog:
    <STRONG>If you're really concerned about file size you should consider a smaller size. What exactly is the file size ratio at 384K? 3:1?</STRONG>
    I'll find out.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Beebster:

iTunes for the PC is a free download! And since it is, AAC files are accessible to everyone as is Apple's new loseless compression. If anyone feels alienated that is their own choosing. Downloading iTunes to use Apple Lossless or AAC's is no more alienating that downloading a FLAC encoder/decoder, plus you get a whole load of other cool features and access to the Apple Music Store!

At 320 kbit it looks to be about 9-10:1 in file size.

As the bit rate of compression lessens, the ratio of mp3:wav size appears to lessen proportionally.

Regards,
    Mark
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

Old Dog - Oh, I didn't know that it was free. I guess that makes sense, so PC users will be able to purchase music from Apple. Very interesting. In that case, I agree with you somewhat.

Still, I Tunes is much more than just an encoder/decoder. FLAC and SHN are very small, light programs that do only this job. I'm not crazy about the I Tunes interface, and don't necessarily want to use it for compression. I already have the update downloaded though, so I'll give it a try right now, then complain some more later.

Mark, I don't think your ratios are correct for the given bit rate. 128kbps MP3's are 10:1. I think 320kbps comes out to around 4:1. I'll check it out though and let you know if I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast