Thread: Need your thoughts on this

Need your thoughts on this

I retired from recording a few years ago but am now going to get back into it (!) I'm slowly putting together a modest (I mean it this time, I'm also a recovering gear addict) basement studio for singer/songwriter demos (my own.) Trying save money, I'm thinking about using some lower-level high end stereo gear for monitoring my mixes. The gear's gathering dust, so.....

I was using a Pioneer PD-59 CD player, going digital into a MSB Link III DAC upsampler (24/96), going analog into an Anthem PRE 2L preamp (it has 2 matched pairs of 6922 tubes in a hybrid design), going into an Acurus A200 (200 watt) amp, feeding Vandersteen Model 2Ce standing speakers. I remember it making CDs sound REAL good.

I know that for monitoring I need to be as close to Truth as possible, so I don't want to use the Anthem PRE 2L because it has tubes. Don't even think I need the pre-amp. Agree? Could I re-wire it to use as a mic-pre?

What do you think about using the MSB, taking the digital signal from PT and upsampling (or not) to 24/96. Does the MSB have a better clock, less jitter, etc? Will I gain clarity in the mix or will I be fooling myself?

I mix in PTs, and I think I can come out of PTs at line level (with or without the MSB) and go directly into the Acurus amp. Am I right? I undertand that you'd need a preamp for turntable and CD but I don't think a preamp is needed coming out of PT. This amp shouldn't color the sound to any great degree so I think it would be alright in the chain.

Next is the Vandersteen speakers. They're floorstanding. I know they're not ruler flat in response, but I don't think they tilt too far to be pleasing. I don't have a chart in front of me to show any bump in the spectrum. Opinions welcomed. They have a 8" woofer (35 Hz to 600 Hz), 4.5 " midrange (600 Hz to 5kHz) and a 1" tweeter (5kHz to 30 kHz). Also have an acoustic coupler, 10" damped long-fiber cone (28 Hz to 35Hz). Total is rated 29 Hz to 29kHz +/- 3 db.

I have a room still set up from 3 years ago that will work well for monitoring, even with these large speakers.

Does this make sense? Will I be able to get a fairly accurate mix compared to what you're using? I know it's subjective to a point, but I know you guys know your stuff and can help me think it through.

Thanks for your input.
    Eliott

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: EJ ]
    Eliott James (3D VIP Member)
    http://www.eliottjames.com
    Wateree Studio, Atlanta

A little clarity: the MSB unit is the Link III, with the upgraded 24/96 option, using the P1000 power supply. I'd be going digital out of PT into the MSB if I used it. The ProTools rig I will probably get this time is the 002 Rack.
    Link to MSB is http://www.msbtech,com

Vandersteen link is http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2Celit2.html

Thanks

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: EJ ]
    Eliott James (3D VIP Member)
    http://www.eliottjames.com
    Wateree Studio, Atlanta