Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build my mic closet

Mics are a critical part of the recording chain, but you have 70 to 80k. Do you have good pres(pres can add a ton of musical color)? Do you have a nice sounding console with good EQ? Patch bays and quality wiring? Good direct boxes? Lots of great sounding outboard compression?

As mentioned above, I have had a PT HD3, soon to be Accel. Currently, I have 32 simultaneous analog ins and outs via 192 I/O's. A Radar can be in the picture at times. I have mixed lesser projects in-the-box, and the results have been acceptable to the client. For higher end projects, I may use PT just as the tape machine, tracking with a great sounding Quad Eight Virtuosso, or a 8068 at local rooms. Also available are API's, Tube Tech's, GML's, etc. As far as cabling goes, I have Mogami "Star Quad" for the mic/line cables. Everything else is good quality DB25 to DB25 from rack to rack. Monitors...Well, for rentals, I send out the Mackie HR824's. They hold their own. I also have Auratones, Genelecs, etc. Adams, Griffins, or SLS's are in my future. I am building all of this into a portable environment, with an ASC 5.1 Attack Wall.

Seems like you have all great gear. I think your mic collection from what you said is light in the vintage classics, unless other locations you track at have these.

ozraves is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    The Soundfield mics are super cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12