Thread: Will digital mixers die?

Will digital mixers die?

Pro Tools has 4 controllers in different price ranges, Nuendo has their new controller, and the project studio owners can get Mackie controllers and Tascam etc.

Do you see the digital mixer not being used much in 5 years or so? Of course I am talking about those studios who work in DAW's which has a digital mixer in it. Heck you can get the 16 Apogee converter box and a controller with a small analog mixer for routing and your done. However there is some what of an appeal for a everying in one box. Converters, mic pre's, 4 effects per channel, and now with version 2 on the Yamaha digital mixers, they included better DAW control and more vintage sounding effects.

If you don't think they will die, who will use them? :p

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Originally posted by Revelation:
    <STRONG>Pro Tools has 4 controllers in different price ranges, Nuendo has their new controller, and the project studio owners can get Mackie controllers and Tascam etc.

Do you see the digital mixer not being used much in 5 years or so? Of course I am talking about those studios who work in DAW's which has a digital mixer in it. Heck you can get the 16 Apogee converter box and a controller with a small analog mixer for routing and your done. However there is some what of an appeal for a everying in one box. Converters, mic pre's, 4 effects per channel, and now with version 2 on the Yamaha digital mixers, they included better DAW control and more vintage sounding effects.

If you don't think they will die, who will use them? :p</STRONG>

Will digital mixers die? No they just sound like that naturally.

I absolutely hate the idea of a combined box. (I assume that you mean something like the Tascam FW-1884). What happens if you want to upgrade a single part, like the converters or the mic pres? You are screwed.

I also do not think that there is anything remotely 'vintage sounding' on a Yamaha console. But that is open to debate, I guess.

I recommend analog mixers to those who must have a mixer in their studio.

Digital mixers are exploding in the live SR world. More and more shows come in with Yamaha PM-1Ds or Digico D5s, and I still see the odd Innovason or occasionally a d8b. Some guys like me would prefer to mix on a Midas or Paragon, but the programability of the digital consoles brings a lot to the table. I have seen entire shows run totally from SMPTE, and neither the FOH nor monitor guy had to touch either console all night. That is aborent to me, but exciting to those who fear the rock/suck options of real live performance, and prefer to bring some polished plastic apple performance to the paying public rather than run the risks of possibly having a bad show. Of course, this also elimiates the possibility og having a totally magical raise the roof rockin' show too, but that is the trade-off.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Well Yamaha was smart with coming out with version 2 of their software. They claim from the 01V96 to DM 2000 that they are better controllers, and now offer some vintage sounding compressors, and reverbs. You can also get the Apogee converters in the slots of their mixers too. Though you can't update a mic pre, the software updates can be nice.