Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Digi unveils the future of ProTools

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I'm not worried about the 'keeping it away from other people' aspect as much as the 'keeping it away from me' aspect. I honestly doubt any of the material I have recorded, am working now, or ever will, is considered important enough for that application of the word security.

But I do want it when I want it while working on it...and cloud based is still reliant on one's internet provider working - not always a given. In Scott's case, I can see the need for access to various things - and I'd take those things with me if necessary. It just seems to be a non-issue that the technological powers that be are essentially jamming down our throats (or jamming up other parts)... Instant access to everything is just not that important.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I'm not worried about the 'keeping it away from other people' aspect as much as the 'keeping it away from me' aspect. I honestly doubt any of the material I have recorded, am working now, or ever will, is considered important enough for that application of the word security.

But I do want it when I want it while working on it...and cloud based is still reliant on one's internet provider working - not always a given. In Scott's case, I can see the need for access to various things - and I'd take those things with me if necessary. It just seems to be a non-issue that the technological powers that be are essentially jamming down our throats (or jamming up other parts)... Instant access to everything is just not that important.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    That's largely my feeling as well, that security for client privacy is not so much the issue as the fact that security tends to put walls between the user & the user's data at inopportune moments. That said, working with well known clients one is aware of a greater need to keep things 'in house'.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Cloud-based computing seems to be about not having your applications reside on your personal computer, but available by accessing the great DAW (or image editor, or word processor,) in the sky. That might could work if one always works from the same studio, but I work all over. Two weeks ago it was Dunedin, New Zealand, in a few weeks it will be Kiev, Ukraine. We make gigs work because we are self contained; we carry our own stash of Neumann mics, provide our own custom stage cabling, integrated with our in-ear monitor system, have all our own effects & playback gear, etc. Everything on stage is stuff we bring with us, on the plane. It ensures that we never have to settle for using the AKG C1000s that might be the only condenser available from a supplier in Beirut, or rural Indonesia. For that reason I will always work with a DAW that resides on my personal laptop, backed up with another version on the tour laptop in our FOH gear case, which is backed up on another laptop in the case with the mics & in-ears. I can't trust that there will be wi fi available in central Mexico, or arctic Finland.

SF

Why do I think that an internet service provider would be as personally concerned with my data/projects as I am? The other prob is that MT audio is kind of a lot of data to be upping and downing a whole lot. I see this cloud thing (at the moment) as being for sensitive biz docs etc, small but valuable. And the idea that any data on the web would be as secure as the same thing stored on media not connected to a computer at all...?

philp

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    And the idea that any data on the web would be as secure as the same thing stored on media not connected to a computer at all...?

philp
    That's just it... if information is even remotely connected to a network of ANY kind, that information is free and open to just about the entire known technological existence of mankind (unless it's a file on my computer I'm trying to find...). If nuclear launch codes, everyone's DNA patterns, the location and ability to transfer huge sums of money, international secrets are all at risk - what chance does my information have at being kept free of interlopers?

Not that anyone would want my audio files in the first place. They used to say "its not safe until backed up in 3 places." I believe that, but I also believe its not really safe, as its been hacked up in3 networks.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
    Very good, Lynn. And the really scary thing is that it did seem quite possible. Hmmm . . .
    Possible? Surprise! PT12.

It's here.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I've got 12.5 now, and while nice, I still see mo need to store files anywhere except locally. Computer is off when not doing music stuff, so...

I may use collaboration when sending the tracks off for mixing, if my guy has 12 as well...otherwise pffft
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234