Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digi unveils the future of ProTools

I can't see anything positive about this concept.

First of all, I shouldn't have to have my computer hooked to the internet. Though this can be beneficial it shouldn't be a requirement and one certainly shouldn't have to have broadband or faster.

Second, does anyone consider their privacy? I have no problem with registration because I am purchasing a license from the developer to use their software. But, for them to then regulate how, when, and where I use that software is extremely invasive.

Thirdly, Digi ought to consider all the hacked PT software as flattery. It's not really hurting them much. Sure they could gain from the revenue if the little scumbag hackers actually paid for the software, but they wouldn't use PT if they had to pay anyway. They'd just rip someone elses software. All the hacking does is help establish their predominance in the market.

Which leads me to my last point. If Digi mandated a leasing program it would surely be cutting their own throat. As predominant a share of the market as they have, things are becoming increasingly competitive and it wouldn't take much to topple their dynasty. More and more people are using a variety of DAWs and I think few Americans would sell away their privacy to some Orwellian cashcow.

[ July 18, 2004: Message edited by: OldDog ]

Originally posted by OldDog:
    <STRONG>I can't see anything positive about this concept.</STRONG>
    The idea of free perpetual upgrades (provided you pay) isn't appealing to you?

The model of the future is renting. That way companies don't just make money once, but continually. Think about cable. Used to be you bought an antenna, installed it and used it for years. Now you pay by the month.

I think most companies would prefer to lease you a "license" to use their software instead of selling it you to use forever.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Well, sure it's good for the company, but the users shouldn't tolerate it.

They can dangle the carrot out there a dozen ways, but in the end it's bad for the consumer... us! Next they'll tell us we have to have a chip put in our head to use their software. Where does it end and when will we stop buying into it?

Obviously, I over state my case, but we shouldn't put up with it even if it is "the wave of the future." So was the Titanic and the Hindenburg.

[ July 19, 2004: Message edited by: OldDog ]

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Isn't this model just an extension of what other soft industies have been doing for a while?

Many people never own a car; they lease...many people never own a residence or recording facility; they lease...now another option is to never own a recording platform; instead they can lease...most (if not all) major oil companies don't actually OWN anything - they lease everything from vehicles to buildings to computer networks to drilling sites.

There are numerous tax breaks involved in leasing vs. owning...Example: a major wireless service call center here in Midland works out of a 50,000 square foot facility...there are 5 major servers, 1275 PC based worstations, 1300 desks, 1300 wired phones, 8 discrete HVAC systems...ALL owned by someone else and leased by the company with contractors being responsible for their upkeep, maintenance, etc...that is a lot of Corporate being saved, as the company doesn't pay tax on these things...no payroll, insurance, etc

It appears the 'for lease' aspects of business is just finally getting to the back end of the music instustry.

Just one man's observation...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

The biggest advantage for a business is on a lease or rent the investiment can be deducted as an operating expense vs. taken over time, often 5 or 7 years which is way too slow for stuff like pro tools.

My day job sells software on a lease all the time. Usually, a lease also implies better support during the coarse of the lease period, such as unlimited upgrades.

As an individual, I'd never by software this way. As a business, I might never buy a perpetual license again. Free upgrades and support + the tax advantages would be too appealing.

Where does pro tools sell more?
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Original posting:
    [qb]...Digi ought to consider all the hacked PT software as flattery. It's not really hurting them much...
    This really got to me. I HATE hearing everyone using this excuse for "hacking" software. I'm no fan of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the rest of the software empires, but there is almost no justifiable reason for hacking-- especially when you are building a business on it.

To all of those who illegally use Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, Sound Forge, Sonar, etc. etc. for their studio clients... How 'bout I live in your home free of charge when you are not there? Yeh, you built it and you are paying the expenses for it, but as long as I can get in the front door (or back door!) I should be able to stay there-- right? It's not hurting you, much! Silly, huh...

I guess this irritates me most because of some "local competition" owning everything hacked, including ProTools, Sonar, Sound Forge, and others-- and they stay pretty busy with clients I could have. They wouldn't have it if they had to purchase it! I know them.

Maybe the software companies aren't hurt that much, but I am!

[ July 19, 2004: Message edited by: QNote ]
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Originally posted by QNote:
    <STRONG>quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original posting:
    [qb]...Digi ought to consider all the hacked PT software as flattery. It's not really hurting them much...</STRONG>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

This really got to me. I HATE hearing everyone using this excuse for "hacking" software. I'm no fan of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the rest of the software empires, but there is almost no justifiable reason for hacking-- especially when you are building a business on it.[/QB]
    I must admit that line really hit me too. Sure "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" but that doesn't carry over to theft. Don't think hackers are imitating anything. They are thieves pure and simple. Not only are they stealing intellectual property, they are also accommodating thousands or millions others who would do the same.

I strongly feel that there is no excuse for using hacked software when you are using it as a part of your business, i.e. to make your living.

Seva (formerly of Waves) used to tell a story about going to a studio (private studio of a producer/guitar player) and he noticed the PT open so he looked at the plugins list and saw every Waves plugin ever made. "What bundle is this?" he asked leadingly. "I don't know. I just got it off the internet." When it came time for Seva to leave, he grabbed a really nice old Stratocaster off one of the guitar stands and started heading out the door.

"Hey, what are you doing with my guitar?"

"The same thing you're doing with my software. I just got it out of some guy's basement."

He made his point. I don't know if the guy ever bought the software though.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... please read the rest of what I wrote.

I am as sincerely, "hacked" off about hackers as anyone. Really. I do not own any hacked software and I do not own any albums I didn't pay for. It is stealing, pure and simple. I was just trying to make the point that it isn't justification for some software company owning you. Sure build in copy protection and registration, but don't require my first born child.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your original April Fools concept correctly. I don't have a problem with leasing if you so desire, but what I understood Lynn's idea was a computer that had to be "actively logged in" in order to run the software. That's what seemed a bit scary to me. When you lease a car or house or whatever you don't have to go to the owner everyday or every time you use the item just to ask permission for its use. That's what I thought Lynn was suggesting, and with that I would have some serious issues.

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>

The model of the future is renting. That way companies don't just make money once, but continually. Think about cable. Used to be you bought an antenna, installed it and used it for years. Now you pay by the month.
    </STRONG>
    A good example, and good example of why I don't have cable. I hate being suckered into those, "for only $9.99/month" deals, especially when they tack on, "we can even do auto draft." Some things I consider necessary (mostly for the business), TV is a luxury and I don't want a cyphen pumping money out of my bank account when I can stick a coat hanger in the air and get the same thing. All it takes is the mortgage, the insurance, the car payment, the ISP, the cable, now Blockbuster, the phone, the cell, the Pro Tools, the plug ins... oh mercy... where did it all go?! I want to pay for what I use. That way I know where it goes and I can control when its going there.

Originally posted by OldDog:
    <STRONG>Maybe I'm not fully understanding your original April Fools concept correctly. I don't have a problem with leasing if you so desire, but what I understood Lynn's idea was a computer that had to be "actively logged in" in order to run the software. That's what seemed a bit scary to me. When you lease a car or house or whatever you don't have to go to the owner everyday or every time you use the item just to ask permission for its use. That's what I thought Lynn was suggesting, and with that I would have some serious issues.</STRONG>
    Actually I didn't have a master plan when I started writing. It was a completely spontaneous expression of what I thought would make a good hoax.

I think the strong reaction to it was due to the fact that it was so feasible that it didn't seem like a big stretch. When is a hoax not a hoax? When it is close enough to fruition that it might be true.

And you're right. It was the "tether" complex that you could have the software for free but big brother Digi would hold the reins of your projects ever more tightly.

Please don't over-analyze this. It could be that I gave Digi an idea. But originally it was really no more than a brainstorm that happened when my mind ran free.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast