Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digi unveils the future of ProTools

It's all good, Lynn. I guess it just freaked me out a bit when I first read it and thought it was the real deal... you got me! Then everyone seemed to jump all over me for suggesting Big Brother was a bad idea. I'm thinking, "What's wrong with these guys?!" But, I think we were really not talking about the same thing... I hope

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>

The idea of free perpetual upgrades (provided you pay) isn't appealing to you?</STRONG>

This statement, again, was a joke. I don't think it's a good idea either. Facetiousness sometimes falls flat without the facial expression to accompany it.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Having all your files centrally located off site? Sounds very much like the "cloud."

How prescient was that? This was written 11 years ago.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

And most of the Adobe people I know are on the exact same "lease" plan. For $50 a month (first year "ground Zero" special... I think it goes to $79 after), my church gets two installations of the entire Adobe Creative Suites... Premiere, Audition, PhotoShop, Illustrator, After Effects, In-Design... everything. Upgrades are protected (meaning, "no additional charge") as long as they maintain their contract. Seems like a lot... until one realizes that the Creative Suite retailed for $1,799 per installation... Three years or so at $50/mo gets them to where a purchase would have required another $500-$800 to upgrade to the new, improved version... for each installation. Comes really close to a good-deal, no-finance-charge, automatically updated/upgraded user experience.

Still not so sure I trust "the cloud" as yet... or ISPs to enable what I usually acquire from my own hard drive(s).

Prescient...? Definitely.

Good piece. I missed it the first time around...

HB
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 03-31-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Bad maths...
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I didn't get it then... I don't get it now. At some point, data (be it audio, words, books, whatever) HAS to exist on drives, right? So cloud technology is nothing more than who's drives, where they are, and who pays for them? I have a cloud account, and use it for really critical things (like backing up my iTunes)... but when it comes time to access what is mine, or what is material I need to pay groceries, does it make ANY sense to add one more set of wheels to break down to the system? As it stands, I can at least operate for an hour even if all the power in the country goes out... with cloud, that would not happen.

Renting instead of buying still does not make sense to me.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    I didn't get it then... I don't get it now. At some point, data (be it audio, words, books, whatever) HAS to exist on drives, right? So cloud technology is nothing more than who's drives, where they are, and who pays for them? I have a cloud account, and use it for really critical things (like backing up my iTunes)... but when it comes time to access what is mine, or what is material I need to pay groceries, does it make ANY sense to add one more set of wheels to break down to the system? As it stands, I can at least operate for an hour even if all the power in the country goes out... with cloud, that would not happen.
    Renting instead of buying still does not make sense to me.
    Me neither, especially since I have occasional need to access a file or do a very quick remix, right this minute, in a venue on the other side of the world, during soundcheck, while the band is patiently waiting on stage for a new click track or whatever. In that situation the option of tracking down the theater manager to obtain the password for the wi fi, if it even exists, & hoping he speaks English, as the only way to open my DAW is not an idea I would entertain for a second.
    Maybe those urging us toward the Cloud envision the entire planet covered by satellite-provided wi fi. That will be secure, won't it?

SF

It's funny. It seemed so outlandish and over the top just 11 years ago. Now stuff is moving offsite and to the cloud on a regular basis. But remember, there were no smartphones 11 years ago, or iTunes, or apps, or Facebook or Twitter, or....

Secure?? Security doesn't enter into it. If it's on the web, it's hackable. I firmly believe that. Anyghing that hasn't been hacked just hasn't risen to the hacker's attention yet.

You want secure? Keep your money in your mattress and your music on analog tape. Of course, hauling 2" tapes around the globe with a tape machine, though secure, may not be an affordable option.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Secure?? Security doesn't enter into it. .
    Exactly my point.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    ...Maybe those urging us toward the Cloud envision the entire planet covered by satellite-provided wi fi. That will be secure, won't it?

SF
    The cynic in me wants to think that Big Brother is awaiting just such a coverage, with the concomitant need for it to ensure a functional society, before usurping whatever geopolitical power there may be left by then. Earnestine comes to mind... "You're dealing with the phone company, Mr. Veedle. We are not bound by city, state, or federal regulations. We are omnipotent.!"

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast