Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Session & Delivery Survey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Session & Delivery Survey

    How many of you deliver your product to your clients via the web (FTP, Digi-Delivery, email, etc.) vrs traditional overnight carriers (Snail Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)? I read in the latest issue of EQ that some companies won't use commercial carriers anymore because they're only liable for the cost of the media (tape, dvd, cd etc.) and not the work on it, if something happens!

    Can you imaging UPS losing the masters to Abbey Road and then telling Apple they'll only pay for a few reels of quater inch tape? 8O IF this is true, what other options do we have besides the web, and even then you've got a whole new "can of worms" to consider.

    For those of you transferring files via the web daily, I'd like to here about your protocol. What do/can you do to protect yourselves? Is Digi-Delivery hype or a really viable solution? Whatever happened to Rocket Network? How practical is it to try and run a session on-line? I'd be really interested in hearing your views on this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Originally posted by Keyplayer:
    <STRONG>How many of you deliver your product to your clients via the web (FTP, Digi-Delivery, email, etc.) vrs traditional overnight carriers (Snail Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)? I read in the latest issue of EQ that some companies won't use commercial carriers anymore because they're only liable for the cost of the media (tape, dvd, cd etc.) and not the work on it, if something happens!</STRONG>
    It's always been that way. It's just one of the risks that we have to live with. Backup, backup, backup.

    I've had 2" tapes lost via FedEx or UPS. They're probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere in Nevada.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,854
    I bet I have triplicates of everything since 1999. FTP is your friend. It is secure, password protected, wonderful and fast.

    I mail master CD's to clients anyway..and if they get lost, (and have) no issue, hit the burner for more. I don't erase anything. Entire sessions 5 years ago are locked away on drives..all documented.

    For the ultra important (meaning historical archives of one offs) I use separate drives. They are very inexpensive and those are backed up as well.

    In these days...their is no excuse in losing a master.

    I have a dedicated server. It really is not expensive for the service or the server.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    399
    Originally posted by Keyplayer:
    <STRONG> Is Digi-Delivery hype or a really viable solution? Whatever happened to Rocket Network? </STRONG>
    I think Avid bought Rocket Network in order to incorporate it into their Digi-Delivery products?
    Eric

    Practice Your Mixing Skills!
    Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
    www.Raw-Tracks.com
    Online Mixing Forum

  5. #5
    Sal Vito is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,019
    Originally posted by Keyplayer:
    <STRONG>How many of you deliver your product to your clients via the web (FTP, Digi-Delivery, email, etc.) vrs traditional overnight carriers (Snail Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)? I read in the latest issue of EQ that some companies won't use commercial carriers anymore because they're only liable for the cost of the media (tape, dvd, cd etc.) and not the work on it, if something happens!

    Can you imaging UPS losing the masters to Abbey Road and then telling Apple they'll only pay for a few reels of quater inch tape? 8O IF this is true, what other options do we have besides the web, and even then you've got a whole new "can of worms" to consider.

    For those of you transferring files via the web daily, I'd like to here about your protocol. What do/can you do to protect yourselves? Is Digi-Delivery hype or a really viable solution? Whatever happened to Rocket Network? How practical is it to try and run a session on-line? I'd be really interested in hearing your views on this.</STRONG>

    For DIGITAL masters...I'll second Bill's backup comment.

    That works great for DIGITAL copies... but what about IRREPLACEABLE analog masters?

    I have a trick for sending those...

    A trick "stolen" from the diamond industry. When diamonds are shipped you send them registered, insured, return receipt requested.

    Works great! VERY secure.

    I figured if you can send a $20k diamond thru that system, you can send my master tape that way.

    It's the best way to send high dollar items. Everyone that touches the item at the post office has to sign something. Accountability ALL THE WAY.

    If you are sending the tapes via fedex, etc... a better bet might be to send it REGISTERED mail ESPECIALLY if it's an original master (like a 2" tape).

    When you send something REGISTERED it is MUCH MORE secure... Also, insurance is much MUCH cheaper (which is a good sign)...

    I'll usually ensure it for more than the client paid me...

    When the tape arrives at it's destination I'm like... DARN! They DIDN'T lose it!

    I'm still waiting to win the "package lottery" Darn it!!!

    Heh

    Anyway.. sending it REGISTERED costs a little bit more than priority mail, but almost always the savings on INSURANCE is MUCH MORE than offset by shipping registered.

    The final result is the package costs LESS to mail when you ship it registered with the insurance compared to priority with insurance.

    I learned this lesson the first time I sent a high dollar amount item in to be serviced... I was SHOCKED to learn how much cheaper registered was!!! It was like... 1/2 the cost!!! AND more secure!

    The one thing you have to do that's kinda weird... you can't use plastic tape... You gotta use PAPER tape. Postal regulations! They make brown paper tape with adhesive backing that you can get at the store (much better than the kind you have to wet). You gotta tape up all the corners of the package with the tape.

    Makes the package "tamper evident"

    Laters,
    Sal Vito
    The Man of Sound
    salvito@hotmail.com
    312-409-0176

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    68
    The point I was going to make was just made in a more elaborate manner...

    Whenever I send anything of value, I make sure to send it insured with a DECLARED VALUE. So, you basically pay insurance on how much YOU declare it's worth.

    I've actually had to make a claim in the past and I thank HEAVENS that I am vigilant about declairing value and insuring. The item's value was reimbursed fully by FedEx upon going through the proper protocol (hoops) when the contents had been returned to me damaged due to shipping mishandling.
    Scott Finlayson
    RockkStar Productions

  7. #7
    Sal Vito is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,019
    Originally posted by H. Scott Finlayson:
    <STRONG>The point I was going to make was just made in a more elaborate manner...

    Whenever I send anything of value, I make sure to send it insured with a DECLARED VALUE. So, you basically pay insurance on how much YOU declare it's worth.

    I've actually had to make a claim in the past and I thank HEAVENS that I am vigilant about declairing value and insuring. The item's value was reimbursed fully by FedEx upon going through the proper protocol (hoops) when the contents had been returned to me damaged due to shipping mishandling.</STRONG>
    Yeah... what HE said
    Sal Vito
    The Man of Sound
    salvito@hotmail.com
    312-409-0176

Similar Threads

  1. Recent Session
    By 3daudioinc in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
  2. Session specifics
    By 3daudioinc in forum Neve vs. PT Mix CD
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 11:35 PM
  3. Lynn take me through a recording session
    By SoZo Amplification in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 05:53 PM
  4. Help recording jazz session
    By Jiminy in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
  5. Need a vocal mic tomorrow for session, $1300 tops?
    By James Lugo in forum Microphones and Preamps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •