Thread: New Gear -Who's tried some?

New Gear -Who's tried some?

Hi all: Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or heard good/bad about some new items such as the Presonus 4-channel Comp (CL44)? How about these Samson compressors--with some neat features..for very little money..too good to be true? Anyone?

With my RNC sitting atop my rack, I see little need

T. Alan
    T. Alan

punoSSound
    La Salle, IL

Record production for the financially challenged

It is funny how subjective all this is..I had the RNC for about 2 years and tried every way possible to like it...just couldn't and recently "gave" it to Guitar Center for $70! I found it to be totally useless for my application. I guess I like a comp with "personality" and "flavor" as I much prefered and still love my Focusrite Penta (used as a compressor and not a mic pre).

The strange thing is that I even preferred my cheapo DBX 266 to the RNC!!! I used it mainly to record trumpet (chain was - Rode NTK-Grace Design 101 or Presonus MP-20-RNC, signal going direct into Tascam DA-38).

I guess I'm just partial to compressors that can almost create an effect..I am now looking to get the new Presonus CL-44 four channel comp/limiter. Any opines on that unit or another suggestion on a comp w/personality (i.e. I also had a Joemek and liked it much..it was stolen from my home studio).

I like my DBX 266 too - $90 it cost me and it skwishes everything to death in a nice fuzzy way. The RNC makes a brilliant limiter though for any material and you just can't hear it - chalk and cheese. I have eight types of compressors that I use all the time - none of them sound remotely like each other - that's the great thing about them

From what you say I'd recommend you dig out an old LA Audio Classic compressor if you can find one - a brilliant stereo device - hard as nails and ridiculously cheap for the quality

On the subject, has anyone actually compared the cheapo DBX 266 to its more noble namesakes?? Where does it stand up/fall down?

Richard

Richard: Thanks for your observations and recommendations - I have not heard of "LA Audio" Did you mean UA (United Audio) or TL audio? Where would I find an LA audio product? which model?

LA Audio are a Brit company
    http://www.laaudio.co.uk/

they make hi end stuff and budget gear which is much better than most of the big name IMO. The classic compressor is discontinued but can be found second-hand at good prices because nobody knows what the hell it is. Seems to have found its main market in broadcast - which gives you an indication of its quality. Its a transformer based discrete componant stereo thing, very much on the hardassed dbx/urie model. Its very sensitive - even I tiny move on the dial can produce dramatic differences and it maintains, even boosts, the hi end information in a way that is very unusual and useful. I picked one up for about $500 the studio I got it from had it perminantly plumbed in over the mix buss - in favour of the uries, DBXs and focusrite red that were next to it in the rack.

I can't recomment it highly enough. You'd have to look out for one secondhand - can't recommend a particular dealer. maybe funky junk in London would know...

Richard