Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: API 512 Good All Around?

API 512 Good All Around?

Say you're going into Pro Tools, and you have to have a pre that sounds pretty darn great on vocals, and guitars. Don't have to worry about brass, drums, etc. Vocal and guitars only (acoustic, electric with amp, and bass DI).

Would the API 512 (or Averil version) be a good all around choice? I have little experience with them other than an engineer who used to bring his lunchbox to sessions, and my only memory was that vocals always sounded too bright. That may have been his EQ prefs too, so I don't want to have preconceptions about the API. I do tend to like bigger fatter sounds, but unfortunately don't have the wallet for them. So I'm thinking of being practical and saying..."Look, we'll get specialty pres later....what's a great all around pre for what I'm doing?"

Thanks
    TH

API pres are fantastic, all-round pieces. Don't get too bogged down in worrying about all the different flavours of preamp - EVERYTHING will sound great through an API. Different mic choices are FAR more important, IMHO.

Originally posted by StuartMac:
    <STRONG>API pres are fantastic, all-round pieces. Don't get too bogged down in worrying about all the different flavours of preamp - EVERYTHING will sound great through an API. Different mic choices are FAR more important, IMHO.</STRONG>
    Thanks...someone just said the exact same thing to me yesterday! I just ordered one...

Thanks
    Tom

I think the 3124+ is an excellent value for the money.

If you like the API flavor, I'd never hesitate to recommend them as a great first all-around preamp. I think they probably shine a little bit more on a rock/pop/country recording vs. classical or acoustic jazz.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

"I think they probably shine a little bit more on a rock/pop/country recording vs. classical or acoustic jazz."

Which is why I love my API / Buzz combo so much, with an A Designs MP2 as the colourful icing on the cake.

I still think the API is the best all-rounder though

Git yerself some API's, you won't be sorry, they are indeed universal preamps.

OK, so I got my first API the other day....in a lunchbox. Pretty empty lunchbox right now...just one 512c in it, but boy, I was impressed. This thing sounds really good, even with my lowly AT4047. Will be doing a lot of recording this week and will know more, but right now, pretty impressed. They sure don't get talked about much...not the flavor of the week, but I've always heard about them, didn't have a lot to spend, and took a shot. Glad I did, and thanks for all the advice...you were all right! Next...the EQ.... ....but hey, what's with 20.00 a piece for the blank panels?? Yikes...

Tom

Glad you like it Tom - now you need to take it up a notch. Get yourself an A Designs ATTY (about $95, I think?) and patch it in after the 512c. DON'T use the pad on the 512, but instead drive it nice and hard into the red, then use the ATTY to attenuate the level back to something useable for the next piece in your chain (or DAW, or whatever).

You're gonna love this - big, fat juicy drum sounds for a start

I'll second the ATTY. I haven't used it like that, but I do need to use it on occasion as a volume knob between the outputs of the DAC and the input to my power amp. Works like a charm. Tracks well. Has a mute button for those who don't like to touch the volume knob once it is set, like me.

Very useful tool, especially for the price.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

oK,

What is an ATTY?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast