Thread: apogee rosetta 800 and DigiOO2

apogee rosetta 800 and DigiOO2

hi, I'm fairly new to home studios. I have a simple setup that consists of a digiOO2 rack, a great river mp2-nv, a rnc compressor and a few decent mics. I try to keep it simple because I'm pretty technically challenged. i recently aquired an apogee rosetta 800. Is there a way I can use the rosetta for a/d conversion and get 8 inputs at 96k with the OO2 as my interface. ???

thanks
    Julian

Unfortunately the Digi 002 doesn't suppor 96k over its lightpipe inputs. This is one of the most glaring omissions on that interface in my opinion. I have one as well, and even if they had supported SMUX for 4 96k channels over lightpipe I would have been happier! If the rosetta has a lightpipe output, you can use it as an additional 8 inputs but only at 44.1 or 48k. If you hear of any way around that limitation let me know although if anyone has found a way around it it's definitely a hack.
    Use your ears, but I'm betting that the appogee converters will still be better than Digi's stock converters.
    -Andrew

I "think" there's a way around the shortcoming, and it's called Pro Tools M-powered. New from musik-messe, it's Pro Tools (special ed) to work with M-audio interface (specificially, Audiophile 192/2496 and Firewire 410/1814). The 1814 has ADAT I/O and "supposedly" support up to 192KHz... Need to check on detail spec as the info still not clear. The whole thing is cheaper than Digi002; you loose 2 mic-pre and 4 analog out, but you gain WC and it runs on firewire power. Now, that's real portable ProTools.
    My Dell 9100 laptop is faster than my dual G5 PowerMac. Mac Sux!

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Just to clarify (amixer), the 002 *will* do 96k via lightpipe. But only in s/pdif mode which is therefore two channels only.

Best regards,

Hb
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

thanks for the help. I'll just have to deal with only 2 channels at 96k. I'm pretty sure 48k through the rosetta will sound much better than 48 or 96k through the OO2 converters anyway.

right on

julian

Originally posted by Cuby:
    <STRONG>I "think" there's a way around the shortcoming, and it's called Pro Tools M-powered. New from musik-messe, it's Pro Tools (special ed) to work with M-audio interface (specificially, Audiophile 192/2496 and Firewire 410/1814). The 1814 has ADAT I/O and "supposedly" support up to 192KHz... Need to check on detail spec as the info still not clear. The whole thing is cheaper than Digi002; you loose 2 mic-pre and 4 analog out, but you gain WC and it runs on firewire power. Now, that's real portable ProTools.</STRONG>
    It's my understanding that the 1814, which can be had for about $450 street plus about $250 for the PTLE software, can do 4 channels of i/o thru the ADAT interfaces at 96k using S/Mux protocol.

The larger question is whether digidesign could implement S/Mux in the 002 or HD192 units via a software upgrade. It would be strange if the budget line had this capability while the mid and high priced lines did not.

RP

Just to clarify (amixer), the 002 *will* do 96k via lightpipe. But only in s/pdif mode which is therefore two channels only.
    Yes I am aware of that and stand corrected. I guess I was referring specifically to the optical input in ADAT mode. SPDIF optical is nice, but there is already a coaxial SPDIF jack on the interface that will do 96k. It just doesn't seem like to big a step to allow the ADAT lightpipe to function using SMUX at 96k for 4 more channels, giving you a possible total of 14 simultaneous channels at 96 instead of a measly 10.

The larger question is whether digidesign could implement S/Mux in the 002 or HD192 units via a software upgrade. It would be strange if the budget line had this capability while the mid and high priced lines did not.
    Unfortunately, I've talked to several digidesign tech guys in our area, and they told me that in the 002, an actual chip upgrade would be required to handle 96k at the ADAT lightpipe, so I guess we can't expec that happening too soon. I wonder if you'll be able to use both an M -powered interface and a 002 at the same time . . . (nahh too easy.)