Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blown away

Quote Originally Posted by funkafize
    Off the bat, I don't know if my monitoring is good enough to tell the differences between the converters. I use a Digi 002 rack for my monitors, so I'm necessarily limited by its DA converters.

I'm also using an Alesis Poweramp into Passive Event 20/20's, so I don't know if this poweramp, speaker cable, and monitor combination is true enough to reveal the differences.

Third, my ears aren't very trained. I've done some listening exercises, and I've been mixing for a little over a year, so I'm very much a beginner.

But still, I was way off on some of my estimates!

I'd bet you have good ears, and you need better monitoring than the 002 converters and Alesis/Events. What you're "liking" is the net result of bad monitoring plus the tests ... not very helpful.

I mentioned this in another post (maybe What Lynn Learned) but I'll say it here as well.

The differences between the converters were far more drastic when they were self-clocked, as when we were recording through them. There were clearly units that ranked as a 10 and others that were more like a 1. It was very clear, at least to me.

When we came back at the end of the day and listened to all the files played back from the DAW and uniformly clocked (regardless of the clock), the differences SHRANK drastically. The ones I thought ranked as a 1 sounded more like a 4-4.5. The 10s became 7 or 8. The differences were still there but they were definitely minimized. This was disheartening to me because I wanted everyone to hear what I heard as we were recording and I realized then that, unless someone had all the converters I had used with them during playback and clocked each sample to that individual converter, no one would ever hear those drastic differences again.

Bummer.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

wow, old thread

IMO clocking is about 1/2 of it, maybe a little less depending on the circuit

Quote Originally Posted by brian lucey View Post
    wow, old thread

IMO clocking is about 1/2 of it, maybe a little less depending on the circuit
    Very old indeed. I have another comparison recording coming out and was looking through old threads.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I have another comparison recording coming out and was looking through old threads.
    Let me guess: A Snare Drum Mic Comparison ?
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Lassak View Post
    Let me guess: A Snare Drum Mic Comparison ?
    I'm not telling.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12