Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So what did you discover from the ADCD?

Originally posted by old raunch:
    <STRONG>I dunno Lynn, I can't seem to find a converter listed for A63. Can you ask someone?
    Yer pal, John</STRONG>
    Oh. The bonus cut?

Well, tell you what. If you compare the sound of the cuts before it to the sound of that one cut, you might be able to correctly identify it. I do know what it is, but I won't tell.

How about this? A free 3D Audio coffee mug to the first person who correctly identifies it here.

Let the games begin.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Well Lynn, that was brutal. To my ear it sounded the most like the Manley Slam direct.
    Hmmm? (He's a cruel man, but fair)
    John Heals

No mentioning Apogee ?
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

I am recording acoustic music having Neumann U87 and two pairs of Schoeps, DACS preamp and now I plan a stellar upgrade - to get a pair of Millennia Origins. I use Apogee Rosetta as my AD. I read many contradictory comments about Apogee convertors - some love them, some do not consider them very good. Unfortunately here I do not have the opportunity to compare some other convertors to it - except Digi 001 convertors (comparing to them Rosetta sounds more than heavenly).

My question is - if I change the Rosetta for Mytek stereo AD, will I hear a substantial difference in the final sound, or considering my whole chain, the difference will be only subtle ? What do you think ? Or would you recommend another 2 channels AD which would be in pair with my purpose a pure clear beautiful sound ? How did Apogee stand in your AD test ?
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

Originally posted by Ivo:
    <STRONG>My question is - if I change the Rosetta for Mytek stereo AD, will I hear a substantial difference in the final sound, or considering my whole chain, the difference will be only subtle ? What do you think ? Or would you recommend another 2 channels AD which would be in pair with my purpose a pure clear beautiful sound ? How did Apogee stand in your AD test ?</STRONG>
    I don't want to sound like a broken record, but have you heard the ADCD? It was recorded specifically for people in your cirucumstance, where you have the interest, the cash, but no access to compare converters.

I honestly can't tell you if you would hear a difference. I can only tell you if I heard a difference. And that answer is yes, I did. And to answer your question, yes, you might hear a difference. Others have not, though.

I was talking in the driveway last night with two engineers who had listened to the ADCD and they were both shocked (to the point of investing in a Mytek 8x96 ADC) at the difference it made. But they had listened and come to that conclusion.

I think spending $50 to find out for yourself in your own studio would be a wise investment. It would take less than an hour to listen to them side by side and then you could know for sure, instead of always wondering.

That's what I would do, at least.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Lynn, thank you very much for your response. I would believe that there could be some improvement in the sound if using different convertors, but it is hard for me to imagine that the difference could be SO huge, as even now it already sounds quite good, miles away from 001 convertors. I am not aware of any special Apogee sound coloration - all I record sounds clean and quite realistic (having top end preamp and mics). I still may think that the difference between Apogee and Mytek could be rather in very subtle level recognizable on good studio monitors. Maybe I am wrong ...
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

<STRONG>Lynn, thank you very much for your response. I would believe that there could be some improvement in the sound if using different convertors, but it is hard for me to imagine that the difference could be SO huge, as even now it already sounds quite good, miles away from 001 convertors. I am not aware of any special Apogee sound coloration - all I record sounds clean and quite realistic (having top end preamp and mics). I still may think that the difference between Apogee and Mytek could be rather in very subtle level recognizable on good studio monitors. Maybe I am wrong ...</STRONG>
    I can only suggest that you talk to others who are using and have compared the Myteks to Apogees and other converters. Many of them relate the same discoveries that I found.

Again (and I'm really NOT trying to sell you a CD, just wanting to arm you with more valid information to make your choice), listening is the best option.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I would love to have Mytek after hearing so much praise about it (maybe changing it for the Rosetta). An it is also very reasonably priced... The only problem is - although announced for almost 2 years (?) the stereo AD still does not exists ... I wonder why ...
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

<STRONG>I would love to have Mytek after hearing so much praise about it (maybe changing it for the Rosetta). An it is also very reasonably priced... The only problem is - although announced for almost 2 years (?) the stereo AD still does not exists ... I wonder why ...</STRONG>
    I was not aware of that.

Let me check with Michal on that. I'll get back to you.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Thank you. I enquired about it several times even last year ...(the announcement was already there including the price).
    I have no need for 8 channels at all. I use only two most of the time ...
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast