Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now comes the exciting part

Now comes the exciting part

Or I guess the pre-exciting part. The real exciting part will be the listening.

After months of phone calls and emails, the first unit showed up today. It's the Weiss from Daniel Weiss in Switzerland. I've heard this unit in comparisons before and it is really delightful. I can't wait to hear how it compares to the others.

I think I will also have the Euphonix converters along with the $15,000 Pacific Microsonics Model II. I should know tomorrow.

I'm still working on dCS and Prism. dB Tech wrote back and said:

"Thank you for considering DB Technologies. As a matter of policy DB
    Technologies does not participate in comparison evaluations where no
    factory representative is present.

So there. If you would like to hear the dB Tech converters and want them to reconsider their stance, contact mailto:jschaller@plus24.netjschaller@plus24.net</A> and tell him how much you wish they would include their units in the lineup. I made it clear that they are welcome to have someone there. If they know how many of you are wanting to hear it compared to the others (which translates into potential sales), maybe they'll arrange to get me a unit.

The Manley SLAM is almost complete and hopefully I will have the first one in the world with a digital board in it for you to hear.

I've contacted Waves about getting an L2, since the ADC in it is very highly regarded.

I have lined up some amazing music sources. I still have to sign some paperwork before I'm ready to publicly reveal the music sources. I think these will be great sources for revealing details. One source is a Grammy winning recording by a very highly regarded engineer. Another is a rock tune that will be mixed analog from the RADAR sourced multitrack live on the session. The third source is still being determined. It will either be a big pop production or something that is a straight to stereo, minimal micing recording, with acoustic echo trails and lots of low level information.

The clock will likely be the Lucid SSG 192. I've spoken with one of the best engineers (in my opinion) in the business and he highly recommended it over the other options out there.

SADiE is providing a 24/96 workstation to as the recording destination.

It's all shaping up to be some fun. And a very long day. If you are in town, or want to be, let me know privately and you are welcome to drop by and listen with us. I have a limited number of slots, due to the amount of gear that will be in the control room, but it's more fun when there are people involved instead of just boxes.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

What you are doing is great, wish I could be there for it. I'd love to have one of the music sources be something like a single acoustic instrument, very exposed. Like piano or acoustic guitar. Seems like that would reveal a lot about the converters.

There was some talk in a previous thread about using the ART DI/O as an example of a low cost AD. I have one, if you need a loaner.

Looking forward to getting the CD when you've finished it.

Originally posted by Albert:
    <STRONG>What you are doing is great, wish I could be there for it. I'd love to have one of the music sources be something like a single acoustic instrument, very exposed. Like piano or acoustic guitar. Seems like that would reveal a lot about the converters.

There was some talk in a previous thread about using the ART DI/O as an example of a low cost AD. I have one, if you need a loaner.

Looking forward to getting the CD when you've finished it.</STRONG>
    Check with me on the ART next week.

I'm reconsidering the sources, at least one of them, due to recent developments. Hopefully exciting ones. We'll see.

I will consider a solo instrument source. No promises.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

After three months of trying to get ADCs, here's what I've assembled. It's not everybody but I've given it my best shot. The ones in italics followed by (?), I have spoken with but the units aren't here yet. Some of those may be "no shows."

Current List of ADCs for 3D ADC CD
    as of 6-12-02

1) Waves L2
    2) MOTU 1296 (?)
    3) Lucid 9624
    4) Presonus
    5) Apogee 8000 SE
    6) Apogee Trak 2
    7) Apogee Rosetta
    8) Digi 001
    9) Digi 888|24
    10) Digi HD 192
    11) Weiss
    12) Prism (?)
    13) Euphonix
    14) Panasonic (?)
    15) Alesis ADAT HD24
    16) Alesis ADAT XT or Blackface
    17) Alesis Masterlink
    18) Mackie 2496 (?)
    19) Tascam MX2424
    20) Mytek 2496
    21) Panasonic 3800
    22) Pacific Microsonics HD-2
    23) Delta 1010
    24) RME
    25) Layla 24 (?)
    26) Lynx II
    27) Metric Halo Mobile I/O
    28) dCS-
    29) Benchmark
    30) Troisi
    31) Manley Labs SLAM
    32) EMM Labs Meitner ADC (?)
    33) iZ RADAR 24/192 S-Nyquist
    34) iZ RADAR 24/96
    35) Swissonic (?)
    36) CraneSong HEDD 192
    37) Drawmer
    38) Panasonic (?)
    39) Audio Media II (the oldest soundcard, from ~1983)
    40) Sonifex

We are doing the listening this weekend. Needless to say, Saturday will be a busy day.

I've lined up three sound sources, two of which will be live analog mixes from the multitrack sources. They are:

1) Rock source material-very dense (drums, guitars, bass, voice) from RADAR 24/48
    2) Folk source-very open (acoustic guitar and voice) from analog 2"
    3) DSD recording of a big band reproduced from SACD

We will also test each converter (that has the option) with an external clock, likely with recorded sample #3, and record those results as well.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I hear there has been a REALLY significant upgrade to the Euphonix converters in the past few weeks.

Well....they are working on it.

They were hoping to get me a 24-channel unit with the mods on the first 8.

As of an hour ago, it won't be coming. The director of marketing is not excited about that fact, but he doesn't call the shots.

So the HD-2 and the Euphonix have dropped out. (I feel like I'm announcing a NASCAR race.)

But I have confirmed the attendance of a dB Tech and a Prism converter, courtesy of Dreamhire New York and thanks to Alan Silverman of arf! Digital and Michal of Mytek (who will also be attending by the way).

Lynn

Originally posted by Bob Olhsson:
    <STRONG>I hear there has been a REALLY significant upgrade to the Euphonix converters in the past few weeks.</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Does anyone here have an 02R that I could use on Saturday? I keep hearing from people who want to hear it in the lineup.

If so, call me at 615-591-3433. If I'm not there, try the cell phone (number is on the codaphone) or at Classic, 615-370-3790.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I cant believe swissonic didn't come through.
    They seem like great people and seem to get props on their converters.

man , Don't these companies realize the # of sales this shoot out could generate?

sad,

I hope they get it together and get you a unit for saturday.
    I am dying to compare it to the lucid stuff.

What type of sources will you be running into the A/D's? One of the best ways to show a weakness of the an A/D is to run a multi track project (ie 24+ tracks) and listen to the results. Sometimes using just a stereo source *cannot* show the whole picture.
    Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Check out page 2 of the "the ball is rolling" thread to see where I suggested this and for Lynn's reply. He did not think doing the test that way would reveal anything more than the way he conducted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast