Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: IMO Logic sounds better than PT

Do you prefere nice words or the truth?

I know the truth. I pulled up the Logic mix from the DAWSUM CD, and discovered that it sounds the same as the PT mix. I didn't check the null like Kevin did, but it was enough for me.

Actually, a lot of things that I "believed" after hearing them long enough were blown clean out of the water, including the mythical superiority of analog summing, which I bought hook, line, and sinker. Another one was the supposed "superiority" of Logic, and the supposed "inferiority" of PT. Which is hogwash. They sound the same.

What has your process for comparison been? Please, enlighten us. Surely you've got something better than regurgitated drivel from a Logic user's group. Which version of PT did you compare it with? What were your test tracks? What's your Logic rig look like? What "scientific" methodology did you use?

Or are you really just a troll after all? C'mon, you can do better than your last post, I just know it.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Zeke Smith ]
    Zeke Smith

Really all we tested was the summing. And each person got to draw his/her own conclusions.

We did not even attempt to listen to what each "system" sounds like. Do Waves plugs sound better in Logic than in PT? I don't know. Do components other than summing in Nuendo sound better than PT? I have no idea.

But I do think that we'll have to dig deeper than the ages old "busted summing" myth to discover where the differences truly are. I think we'll have to examine each facet individually. BT wants to examine the way each platform responds to severe pushing, like he mixes in Paris, with the red lights blinking on each channel and staying on full across the master. (Oops. Did I just give away a trade secret?)

There are too many people that think differences exist to just dismiss them. There might be something to it. Do we know how to test and what to test to discover what the differences are? Not yet. I don't agree that we know everything about digital that there is to know. I think we're still learning.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I agree that there are a lot of other variables to how a certain DAW will sound in specific circumstances. I know very little about the esoterics of how things work "inside the box" when it comes to routing and plug-ins. But I think that the whole notion of there being this great divide between "good" sounding DAW software and "bad" sounding DAW software has been blown fairly well open by the DAWSUM CD. There may be and probably are some other differences, but they're not as critical, and only parts of the whole.

One myth that I think (and this is just my opinion) was substantiated was the unique sound of PARIS. I loved the PARIS mixes. There was a warmth and excitement about them that I liked. I wish it was still around, as I nearly bought a PARIS system before E-mu/Ensoniq pulled the plug.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Zeke Smith ]
    Zeke Smith

In reference to Logic, one of the things I seem to hear a difference in PT is the playback of VST instrument bounces. I worked up some bass replacements for a PT 5 session using the Model E plug-in against the bounce of the mix from Protools. I then bounced my tracks into a new Logic session for the group to pick their favorites. Finally I brought the picks back into the PT session at unity, as they were in Logic. Everyone heard the same thing, the low end roundness was gone. Same computer, Logic running under ESB to same hardware, everthing seemingly the same except the software. I do have the DAWSUM CD and agree with majority of comments posted. So why do I hear a difference, is it the pretty graphics? Anyway I submit this for any thoughts and discussion.
    Chris R. Gibson AKA Loopy C
    www.micworks.com
    Ken Tamplin Mastering

Last month I went trough terible HD crash, i had to replace the HD controller in order to recover the lost sessions. Good, I have backed up all the things on CD, and just replaced the HD an continued working. After the repair of my crashed HD I discovered that 'there is a clear audible difference between the tracks played from it, and the ones from the backup'
    So it made me wonder is it caused from the CDR, the new HD, or the replaced HD controller !?
    I made a test -
    1.recording in Logic, saving the files on the HD,
    2.copy to CDR, import back in LAP
    3.copy to the new HD import in LAP

It seems to me they all sound different (very little, but yes)
    Does anybody has experienced such a phenomenon?
    Is it possible just moving files around to have such audible effect !?!?
    Or I am going nuts!?

Originally posted by mikez:
    <STRONG>Last month I went trough terible HD crash, i had to replace the HD controller in order to recover the lost sessions. Good, I have backed up all the things on CD, and just replaced the HD an continued working. After the repair of my crashed HD I discovered that 'there is a clear audible difference between the tracks played from it, and the ones from the backup'
    So it made me wonder is it caused from the CDR, the new HD, or the replaced HD controller !?
    I made a test -
    1.recording in Logic, saving the files on the HD,
    2.copy to CDR, import back in LAP
    3.copy to the new HD import in LAP

It seems to me they all sound different (very little, but yes)
    Does anybody has experienced such a phenomenon?
    Is it possible just moving files around to have such audible effect !?!?
    Or I am going nuts!?</STRONG>
    The DAWSUM CD was an excellent opportunity to see how far and wide we could distribute the files in any manner of formats. This is referenced in a number of threads.

All I know is that we were able to null files from any number of sources after any number of generations, and they were all numerically identical. Did they sound the same? I don't know.

Why don't you print the two files side by side and post them both for people to test and listen to and see if anyone else can hear a difference? That would at least confirm or deny the results you are hearing.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    I loved the bit about .....

"Two other engineers (in session with me) heard the sound change when we raised the client's computer off the floor with soft isolation pads. The only thing that changed was what the computer was sitting on. We found that setting the computer on a hardwood floor made the sound more immediate and crisp, compared with setting it on soft isolators. On the floor, the snare sounded punchier, the kic more immediate, and the overall sound was tighter. A solid platform is even better when vibration isolators are used."

I can just imagine...

Producer: Can we get the snare a bit punchier please?

Engineer: Sure, I'll just move the computer onto the floor.

What if it's true?

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Originally posted by Haigbabe:
    <STRONG>What if it's true?

Haigbabe</STRONG>
    I always move my furniture around when the mixing gets down to the wire.
    Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
    www.bullmoondigital.com

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast