Thread: Cubase VST/32 vs. SX

Cubase VST/32 vs. SX

For the SX or Nuendo users who used to use Cubase VST/32, did you notice a sonic enhancement with the newer audio engine?

Yes, the difference was huge to my ears. Noticing that was a break through for me. It actually helped me learn, how and what to listen for. It was almost as dramatic as taking a mix done in Nuendo and remixing it through a Trident Fleximix console.

Cool. Can you be more specific on what you liked (imaging, depth, tone, dynamics)? I'm really just curious about the summing, not the effects that it comes with etc. Thanks!

Sure Grekim,

The biggest difference was in overall imaging (depth), and dynamics. I don't recall much tone wise. Any mixdowns done in Cubase always sounded squashed in some way. Most noticably on guitars. So, if you are still using VST/32, definitely upgrade to SX3 or Nuendo. The plugin delay comp is worth it alone, and you will notice a difference mixing ITB. However, like I said before, if you are looking for the best summing (I say this very subjectivly), I still hear a huge difference in good consoles. You also might try a summing bus. I used the Dangerous 2bus on a couple of records, that was kinda cool. It added a little width and punch, but after giving a client and a second producer a cd with 2 mixes (one ITB, one OTB) they both picked my ITB mix. So, needless to say I sold it and mix most of everything ITB now.

Thanks Matthew. I used to use Cubase, but have been using DP3 for a couple years now. I did a sum test last night (no plug-ins, faders at zero, no extra dither.) I was absolutely shocked to hear how much difference there was. DP was warmer and chunkier, but I liked the drums better in Cubase VST 32. I could also hear the room more (on drum overheads) on VST. Some of that may be attributable to the "panning laws" of each system since the only thing panned were the overheads. That aside it was night and day and I like attributes of both. Today I put it through a nulled Ramsa console (fed by Apogee 8000's) and well that was the favorite. Drums really suffer ITB for me. Anyway, thanks for the input as I've been resisting any upgrades because they require an OS upgrade and all the headache that goes with that.

I agree. The difference was huge.

It wasn't subtle and it wasn't only in one area. It was width, depth, and not harsh or hashy as was VST32 at times.
    All of a sudden large, multi track mixes had room to breath and inexplicable tonal/timbral masking was history.

Maybe, the second biggest thing, at least for me, was SX was damn stable. A reliable DAW that could be used with paying clients. I'm sorry to say it, but this was true, VST32 and it's predecessors way back to 3.52 was an utter joke on my Mac.
    eightyeightkeys