Thread: My hats off (is my nose brown or what) - but seriously

My hats off (is my nose brown or what) - but seriously

I'm just a newbie here as I have spent most of my days at the DUC poking at PT, and I most certainly feel a bit (or perhaps its bits ) inferior to most of the folks here who are so obviously well informed and practiced at their craft, a craft which is a strange mixture of art and science.

Although I have played since I was five and messed with DAWS since the early days, and though I have hung on many a listerv over the years, I must say that I have learned more here in the first 48 hours than in most other cases combined. It's enough to make my discs spin!

My hat's off to Mr. Fulston in creating what may be the most useful and non-biased forum of it's kind with truly meaningful dialogue.

Perhaps if I lurk here long enough and practice the many bits of wisdom that fly around I may one day be qualified to speak up. Until then, I hope a silly question now and again will not offend too many here.

As for the art of subjective hearing and the scientific comparisons being done here let me only say this... the pursuit of real evidence leads to a better understanding of real knowledge which can then be used to the betterment (is that a word?) of the art form.

In the end, music at least, is still mainly an art form with no right or wrong way if the end product tugs at someones emotions.
    However, like it or not, the paintbrushes of today are technology based and the more I, as an artist/engineer understand about the facts, myths and misconceptions surrounding DAW the better equipped I am to produce better art.

So let me thank those here who have so much experience that they are willing to share in a public forum for the benefit of others. In this sense the Internet has given birth to perhaps one of the greatest innovations of it's kind since the invention of telecommunications. It is a resource of incalculable value and my hat is indeed off to Mr. Fulston for his contribution.

(Edit - Lynn: In retrospect perhaps this should be in yellow box or something...), oh well

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Steve Moore ]

Originally posted by Steve Moore:
    <STRONG>
    ....a craft which is a strange mixture of art and science.

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Steve Moore ]</STRONG>

It is indeed!!

<STRONG>

....I may one day be qualified to speak up.

You're doing fine by me.

<STRONG>

Until then, I hope a silly question now and again will not offend too many here.

Lynn Fuston does an awesome job keeping it friendly here.

<STRONG>

As for the art of subjective hearing and the scientific comparisons being done here...

Meaning no offense to anyone, but I disagree that the comparisons done here are scientific.

Lynn has posted a number of times that the 3dAudio tests are done carefully, but that they are not rigorously scientific.

Truly scientific studies can be very time intensive, and likely would be even more expensive and more time consuming than the comparisons Lynn has done.

I, too, have learned very much from this board and I applaud Lynn's efforts on the forum and in the preparation of the comparison CDs and other comparisons that have been done. But, it is important not to confuse them with scientific studies.

As I posted a week or so ago in the DAWSUM thread, the more we get into all of this, the more we will come to know about the limitations of not doing comparisons scientifically.

Even if held to a scientific standard, the importance of creativity, different tastes, who is in front of the mic, etc. still will play a major role in all of this. And those things generally are not very amenable to scientific analysis.

And that takes us back to the beginning. It is indeed an interesting mix of art and science.

John www.springstonestudio.com

Originally posted by JohnD:
    <STRONG>I, too, have learned very much from this board and I applaud Lynn's efforts on the forum and in the preparation of the comparison CDs and other comparisons that have been done. But, it is important not to confuse them with scientific studies.
    </STRONG>
    Thanks for all the nice words.

I would agree with that assessment. Zealously scrutinized and compulsively executed as far as attention to detail, yes. Scientific? Not really. I have too much respect for scientific research to accept that description. Of course, if I had a $100,000 government grant, I could spend months testing and come up with some scientifically acceptable data. But it still wouldn't mean anything when it came time to pick a mic for a vocalist. You'd still have to use your ears.

I prefer to think of them as listening parties where we record the results, in order to allow people around the world to "sit in" and hear what we heard, even years later.

I'm glad the CDs have been so well received worldwide and they have meant so much to so many people. I hear from listeners weekly, thanking me for my efforts.

And I agree with your assessment that this is the friendliest, most informative, lowest signal-to-noise recording forum on the web. At least that I've found. I appreciate all the input from the posters who frequent here and contribute. They are the ones that make it what it is.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

But what about my beakers, testubes, sliderules, atomic charts, horoscopes, and the like? You mean I should put them back in the closet? Shucks...

Okay, so scientific may be a bit over the top... practical study it appears to me none-the-less. And that may be more useful than all the 'theory' in the digital universe anyway.

Gotta run, I think my beaker's fizzing now, better check the gold plating on my new $6,000 monster cable... I may have shaved some high end off my bottom squares...

And yes, I see quite a bit of signal here, the noise seems to be 64 bits under the 32 bit floating noise floor... oh wait a minute that's just my Marshall stacks on standby... hisssssssssssssss........

You forgot Bunson Burners