Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's the list of included Platforms

So, in addition to the DAWs and hardware digitial mixers mentioned above, you can add the following analog summing options (can you say bonus cuts??):

SSl 9000J
    Trident 24
    Yamaha PM-2000
    Manley 16x2 Line Mixer (tubes!!)
    Dangerous 2-Bus

Listen and see if you can pick the analog from the digital mixes. And no, I won't tell you which is which.

I promise it is a fascinating listening exercise.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Hi Lynn, sorry to post this question here but in reference to your last post, dithered mixer vs. undithered? I am still unclear to which is the installed mixer in PT 5.1.1 and where the other one is located (i.e a Digi download or from install CD)? Which one is the one you mostly use?

Thanks

Chris R Gibson
    Chris R. Gibson AKA Loopy C
    www.micworks.com
    Ken Tamplin Mastering

Originally posted by Chris R Gibson:
    <STRONG>Hi Lynn, sorry to post this question here but in reference to your last post, dithered mixer vs. undithered? I am still unclear to which is the installed mixer in PT 5.1.1 and where the other one is located (i.e a Digi download or from install CD)? Which one is the one you mostly use?
    </STRONG>
    I typically use the dithered mixer, though the difference between it and the non-dithered is very small. Very small.

The dithered mixer for 5.1.1 is "24-bit Optimized Mixer" and is version 5.1.1x330. I don't think you'll get it with the standard release, but I think you can find it at the Digi site. It has a colorful history.

If you can't find it, let me know. I haven't looked recently.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I'm suprised that you didn't include the Mackie HDR-24 & D8B but you did include the MX2424.
    Chris Thom
    www.ChrisThom.net
    www.myspace.com/IMChrisThom

"Earth’s crammed with heaven,
    And every common bush afire with God;
    And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
    The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries."
    ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"Time flies like the wind.
    Fruit Flies like bananas."
    ~ Groucho Marx

Originally posted by Chris Thom:
    <STRONG>I'm suprised that you didn't include the Mackie HDR-24 & D8B but you did include the MX2424.</STRONG>
    No one offered a d8b although I'd still be happy to have a sample mixed on one. I may do a followup CD or might just post additional files for download on the web.

The playback source was insignificant since all the files were transferred in digitally and never touched the analog domain, so clocking, converters, jitter and all those other sonic variables were simply not an issue. It just so happened that the testers that offered to help had MX2424s. No decision was made to include or exclude either.

The DAWSUM CD is more of a "class project" than anything I've ever done before. So the included platforms were based on "who offered what" instead of making any attempt to include every DAW or digital mixer. I know several that I would have included if I had been able to secure a tester who owned them. (And I know that they'll come out of the woodwork now that the CD is complete. It always happens that way. After I finished the ADCD and was talking to George Massenburg about the findings, he asked if I'd included an 02R. "Couldn't find one." Turns out he has 2 sitting idle in his studio. Oh well.)

So any exclusions were simply a matter of "opportunity missed," not conscious decisions.

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12