Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing DAW Mixers

Comparing DAW Mixers

We're going to get an answer to this issue once and for all. I finally have a recording and got clearance from the owner today to use the tracks and I'll be recruiting people with the necessary hardware and expertise to generate mixes on various DAWs and hopefully some hardware mixers as well.

When we're done, we'll put them all on a CDR, or several, and you'll be able to line them all up in your workstation of choice and compare them without knowing which is which. Then we can really see, once and for all, whose math sounds best. Is it DP, Logic, PT, PTHD, Paris, or an 02R?

Soon we'll know.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Excellent news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

I certainly hope you will put Nuendo and Cubase SX in there as well. Will you just sum pre recorded tracks? How else would you deal with the plug in factor? Take care Logan

Originally posted by Logan Murray:
    <STRONG>I certainly hope you will put Nuendo and Cubase SX in there as well. Will you just sum pre recorded tracks? How else would you deal with the plug in factor? Take care Logan</STRONG>
    No plugins will be used. For this test, there will be only one variable--the summing. Actually, I'm going to introduce one more. Summing at different levels. No pan law variables, no plugins, no live anything.

The scope of this test will be intentionally narrow and focused. The same tracks played back at the same level on different DAWs and then bounced to 24/48 files that people can buy and listen and compare for themselves.

Oh, and one other thing. The answers will not be posted publicly. They will only be sent to those who have ordered the CD and listened first. No cheating allowed.

I will be happy to include any platforms but I don't have access to more than 4 or 5. Any others will have to be provided by you. Anyone who does the test for me on an included platform will get a copy of the final soundfiles for free.

We'll see if we can find some resolution to this matter.

I should mention that this is an educational exercise for me and I am completely open-minded about the results. I have no preconceptions about what we'll find.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Lynn
    I would be happy to provide the Nuendo and Cubase SX platforms, although you may find someone closer and more convenient to get the files to. If you need my help tho' its there for the asking. Take care Logan

Sounds good to me. Just know that this will be a purely scientific experiment, nothing creative at all. And there will be a test at the end to make sure everything is done correctly. Nothing will go out that is not absolutely right.

I will keep the source files to no more than 24 tracks.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>this will be a purely scientific experiment, nothing creative at all. And there will be a test at the end to make sure everything is done correctly. Nothing will go out that is not absolutely right.

I will keep the source files to no more than 24 tracks.</STRONG>
    I assumed that already. Just give me the files and procedure and I can follow orders. Take care Logan

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>

I will be happy to include any platforms but I don't have access to more than 4 or 5. Any others will have to be provided by you. </STRONG>
    I can offer PT-le

Seems pretty interesting. I can handle SONAR if you want to include it. Since my SONAR rig is portable I could even drag it down to NashVegas to try out. I'll forewarn you though. It's LOUD!

Peace,

James

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Having been the russian monkey who briefly went into space, I am looking forward to John Glenn taking the plunge.

In other words, as interesting as my little test was , I will be excited to see what Lynn's more exhaustive testing shows. Lynn, you know I'll help however. Sonar, Nuendo....and I also just installed PT6 and got it running smoothly.
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast